Mixing Colors with Subs

This came up in the forum 4 years back but I never found a final answer. I want to mix RG&B with 3 subs. If I use a real simple DMX controller (QCPlus) I can bring up DMX the channel Red for to 100% then bring up the 2nd DMX green to 100% which gives me yellow. But somehow using a RGB Profile for my Corepar 80 UBSs I can't do this in ELE2. My subs are set to "Add HTP Min" and "Solo". I used the Live table and made sure I had only Intens FL Red 100, Green 0 and Blue 0 going into sub one. Green and blue similarly went into sub 2 and 3 (with only that color and intense at 100%.

At 1st it seem to work ok. As I raised sub 1, red came up. Raising sub 2 brought up Green whilst reducing red to 0 so no mix. The upshot was that lowering sub 2 (green) left me with no light - red was at 0.  (when I wanted Red!).  Very unprofessionally I call this "Winner kicks butt!"

Most interesting is that using a Strand NEO a while back I found exactly the same behavior and Strand said "Yeh, this is how it should work" but then had me dig into the showfile config and make some changes and low and behold I could mix the RGB LED more intuitively.  So I am pretty sure I can do this on ELE2 but just haven't found the right settings. its in the fader config I bet.     

Parents Reply Children
  • Sort of around the bush but beautiful! Thank you. This was not mission critical at the theatre but more of me lifting the hood and seeing what was under it. Thanks again. Here's wishing you and all the guys at ETC who do such a great job. Happy and safe 2021.

• When you make a SUB that takes the color values to 0 and fade that in the effect is the same without changing your whole system setting. So only when you "need" to mix colors live, but furthermore want the systems to run as normal.

So SUB 100 is Channel 1-6 value Color @ 0%. This creates an "inverted" sub instead of an inhib. So fader down is color 100% and fader up is color at 0%.

SUB 101 is 1-6 value RED @100%, SUB 102 is 1-6 GREEN @100% and so on..

Now you can mix live. Even as SUB 100 is at 50-% the individual color run in percentage of the first so SUB 101 RED at 50% means 75% output and so on.

Maybe this helps if you do not want to change your whole sytem settings and is, in my opinion, easier to do.

• Hi Jeroen. Just saw this and had a quick try on the software at home. But things didn't seem to work out. That bit about Sub 100? Do you mean I should ensure the MLs are at 0% intensity and record to Sub 100?

Not sure how this would give me 100% color when the fader down though. Could you clarify this bit. Subs 101 and 102 are per norm so no trouble there - thanks 

• He Robert,

No, just the color in Sub 100 are at 0%. The rest of the values are to be untouched. So when everything is up, at whatever intensity, and you fade that sub in, just all the colors fade out.That way all the color values are at 0%.That means the unit won't put out any light, but the intensity is still up.  Then you can mix "live" with the other subs, because of HTP.

The intensitiy is not involved here and remains at the level it already is/was.

This should work. Let me know!

Best regards, Jeroen

• Thanks Jeroen. I'm using my EOS software on home computer and just found a lot of problems saving things to my subs only to discover the Fader/Sub was set to 1-40 Channel Faders instead of 1-40 Faders!

Things looking better now! 

Related