Eos TI Monitor/Walkie interference

Has anyone had any problems with walkie-talkies and the internal monitors on a Eos TI (or any other Eos family console)?  We have a console that was purchased in the fall of 2019.  Whenever I use my walkie, the left-hand display blinks out momentarily.  It comes right back, and does not seem to affect the the console otherwise, but it's very disconcerting.  

• What a classic... I'll be honest this one took me back a few years to some of my first gigs with the old salty road curmudgeons that would trigger the old motorola radios standing behind you at the console to cause ghost triggers while you were trying to program... good times.

Depending on the radio, TX power, frequency range, shielding, etc the short answer is yes this CAN happen. Though a screen blinking out isn't the worst it can do. Essentially your handheld radio is generating a small EMF pulse that is disrupting components within your console. It's been happening less over the years with digital radios and especially the new cellular 5G Motorola Waves, our personal favorite here, but don't tell the sound department that my radio is cellular...

Now for the important part... best practices include not operating your radio next to, on top of, beside, under, or over your console. If possible place it on your hip or behind you and use a shoulder puck. Even better when possible take a step back from the console to operate the radio as to lessen the toll of EMF on surrounding equipment. "Will" it damage your console? "Maybe" In my opinion any unwanted behavior in my console is a no no

• we discovered that pointing the antenna of our radios (Motorola CP200) at the external touch screen would move the cursor to that point.  can't recall if the radio would "click" the screen or not.

Andrew

• On our networked Gio@5, the CP200 would cause the console to lose control of the rig. The backup was, unfortunately, in another room. 

Related