Fixture or Channels

I'm wrapping 6 x White LED tapes around a 5' plastic pole to make a Young Frankenstein "Electrode". The idea is to "run" the lights up and down the pole sequentially to emulate a spark going up a Van Der Graff generator.

For the prototype 6 channels were patched 1 to 1, to 6 DMX addresses . These were placed into new 'step' FX and it all worked very well indeed. For the Show I'm constructing two identical poles.

Question: Should I do as I did for the prototype and patch 1 to 1 and so on, or is there a way can make a new fixture ("Electrode") with 6 INTENS parameters patched to a single channel?

I had brief try with such a fixture (6 x INT Params) but when selected the ML display showed only 1 INT fader! And if I did manage this I've forgotten how to make a step FX that fires each of the INT params in turn (I'm just used to plugging in Chans)

Parents
  • Regarding the fixture, you probably made each of the 6 parameters an INT type. You need to make them INTENS, INTENS 1, INTENS 2, etc. That’ll allow each of the 6 intensities to show up seperately.

Regarding the effect, with a step effect, you select the channel, and the parameter in that channel, for each step. So, if you want to make a effect that brings each intensity up in turn, you’d build a six step effect. All 6 steps will have the same fixture channel. Each step will then have the next intensity parameter in order.

Hope this helps.

• Or you create a multicell fixture with 6 cells. 
    to avoid all the typing for a step based, in this case use an absolute effect. Two actions. Action one 100% action two 0 %. Apply to the cells only. 
    experiment with grouping and trail (most likely you want solo). 
    of course the absolute effect also works with channels. 

• Or you create a multicell fixture with 6 cells. 
    to avoid all the typing for a step based, in this case use an absolute effect. Two actions. Action one 100% action two 0 %. Apply to the cells only. 
    experiment with grouping and trail (most likely you want solo). 
    of course the absolute effect also works with channels. 

Children
Related