Creating a dedicated Nomad PC

I know people have done this and I swear I've seen posts on this topic in the past but I can't seem to find anything with solid information...

Looking into converting a micro PC I have laying around into a dedicated nomad system (homemade Puck) that will boot directly in and out of Nomad. I was thinking Kiosk mode in Windows 10 would cover this but that doesn't appear to be the case. How have people gone about this?

Parents
  • I have the same need.  Unlike  above, I want the machine to boot directly into EOS.  (If access to the PC sys and/or gateway tools, etc., simply log off and return to Windows!  It's not "blocked"... Just a little longer to get to.)

I configured three small (50-seat/70-seat) theatres Nomads as they can't afford an Ion >>> nor the actual booth space!  For ease of operation--usually by the "stage manager/light & sound board-op" person--one less of the many steps that a non-lighting person endures is a good thing.  And eliminates things not operating correctly.

Win-10 & Win-11 both say they need an app to run "above the lock screen".  This has to be possible as the actual desks are running in a type of kiosk mode on Windows!  I want the PC to boot just as an actual Element/Ion/Gio/Eos/Apex would >>> directly into the show.

This thread has nearly 500 views... so  and I aren't the only ones who are trying to accomplish this! 

I don't know if this thread is monitored by anyone at ETC who might be able to help... but... can anyone else help?

THX!

• Howdy! 

While there may be ways to convince Windows to operate this way, it is not something we officially support, nor do we develop for. Our consoles are running an extremely custom and embedded version of the Windows environment, so that we have full control of how our software and hardware behave. For folks who are looking for a locked-down, console-only mini PC that is less expensive than a console, we make and sell Puck. 

• Howdy! 

While there may be ways to convince Windows to operate this way, it is not something we officially support, nor do we develop for. Our consoles are running an extremely custom and embedded version of the Windows environment, so that we have full control of how our software and hardware behave. For folks who are looking for a locked-down, console-only mini PC that is less expensive than a console, we make and sell Puck. 

Children
No Data
Related