Park

I'm running a relay pack in slot 1+2 in the SENSOR rack to distribute 120vac to the ML's.  I was under the impression that if I parked these at 100% they would stay that way. But if I use [Select Active] [Out] they go down to zero and turn all my MLs off! I know that to stop subs being wiped out I can use {Select Active][Select Active] but this is a real pain with respect to the parks.

How can I ensure my Parks stay where I want and merely go out and come on when board goes off on on? 

Parents Reply Children
  • What is your system architecture?? Do you have any DMX nodes? One of my facilities connects the console to the dimmers and lights via a series of Net3 Gateways. In the gateways, you can set a DMX Loss timing. In other words, the gateway will hold what DMX values it last saw if you lose DMX signal. It treats the console shutting down as a loss of DMX.

Could something like this be what's happening to you??

• Alternately, could it have Hold Last Look on Data Loss enabled?? Try bringing up another light/dimmer & then shutting off the console with it on, does it go out immediately?? If not, then you probably have Hold Last Look enabled. 

• Our architecture is very simple. Single universe DMX only to SENSOR rack patched 1 to 1 for the 96 dimmers. Dimmer pack D20 for 1&2 was replaced with a ETC R20 relay pack. We are using its output to supply mains voltage to our MLs.

Manually putting channels 1&2 to FULL closes the relays and setting 1&2 to zero opens the relay as expected. And they can be put into a sub. Sub up = power. Sub down = no power again, as expected.

Now, if in LIVE I put 1&2 to FULL and PARK the relays work. BUT! When ELE2 is shut down the relay remains closed and power is maintained! I wiped out the PARK and then went into the PARK screen and set it up again with same results. I would have thought the relay would have opened when DMX signals ceased upon board closedown.

If PARKED and this happens should I  set  these channels to zero in a closing macro?

• It seems to work as it should but I seem to remember there was some contingency in the SENSOR rack that should it lose DMX it would maintain the last look. I had completely forgotten this and need to dig the manual out. It sounds like something you would want if you accidently lost DMX but I would hate to turn it off for just one relay pack to work. 

• I just looked at the CEM3 manual.  Below is the list of option settings for Data Loss Behavior.  These appear to be on a rack-wide basis, not on a module by module basis:

Setting Data Loss Behavior
    You can designate the rack’s reaction to a loss of data from any of the three data ports (DMX A,
    DMX B, or sACN). For each of the ports you can select one of the following behaviors:
         • Crossfade: On loss of data, the look will transition to a specified internal preset (DMX only).
         • Wait & Fade: On loss of data, the rack will wait for a specified amount of time and then fade to
    black over another specified time.
         • Hold Last Look: On loss of data, no transition occurs. The levels will stay at the last known look
    until data is restored to the port. Resetting the processor will release the levels.
         • Hold Last Source: On loss of data, if other sources are available the rack will switch to them.
    Otherwise, the levels will switch to whichever source was most recently lost.
  • Ouch. I never thought to look in the CEM manual! The more I think about it the more I reckon its the Data Loss thing. I'm pretty sure it it only maintains for 10 or 20 mins and then shuts stuff down. Im going in tonight and will test this out. Thank you 

• If your rack does have ‘Hold Last Look’ enabled for DMX Loss and you don’t want to mess with that setting, I’d create 2 macros: one to park the relay channels at full & one that parks the relays at 0.

Set the first as your startup macro & the second as your shutdown macro. Problem should be solved & you don’t have to worry about parking/unparking anything manually.

• Yep, the Hold keeps them on for about 10 minutes after shutdown. But I like to turn them off right away so will take your advice. Thank you

Related