Trying to make zoom beam palettes more efficiently. I can't figure out how to set a fixture to 50% zoom. Any ideas or help?

Hello all,

I have found that when I am busking, or programming musicals, I tend to like having a range of beam palettes on my direct select page that go something like: " Zoom Full, Zoom 3/4, Zoom Half, Zoom 1/4, Zoom Min"  Depending on the event, I set this up as a range of palettes in 10% increments, quarters, eighths, or whatever granularity feels right. 

I have found these palettes very hard to construct

Taking for example a fixture I use often, the Solaframe 2K. The min zoom of the fixture is 8° and the max is 45°. Aside from sitting down and using a calculator and notepad to figure out the proper values, I can't think of a way to properly enter the data for the beam palettes. 

Min and Max are easy because I can simply enter "0" and "Full" respectively on the command line and the fixture will enter the closest value it can. However, if I want a palette to make the fixture to go to half its zoom range... I am at a loss. 

Things I have tried in Blind while editing the beam palette:

If I enter "ch1 zoom @ 45/5" Eos thinks I am trying to enter a gel number and gives me an error.

If I enter "ch1 zoom @ Full/5" I get an error for putting a slash after Full.:

If I enter "ch1 zoom @ 50" Eos interprets that 50 as a degree dumber and takes the zoom to 45 degrees. Not half the zoom range.

Things I have tried in live:

If I enter "ch1 zoom @ Full Enter. Ch1 zoom /5 enter" I do not get half of the fixtures zoom range, I get 50% of the zoom number. Aka half of 45°, which is 23°. This is still incorrect, because the zoom range is between 45 and 8. the halfway point between those two numbers is 26.5°, not 23°. 

I hope the above examples demonstrate my frustration. All I want, is to set the zoom of a given fixture to its halfway point, or to 10% or 30% of its zoom range on command. Surely someone knows of a way to do this?

Sure I can do the math and figure it out, but it is very slow and difficult when it must be done for every beam palette I make times every fixture type. 

• this workaround doesn't mean you get around doing some math, but it's easier transferable between fixture types (hence macroable):

Chan 1 Zoom // 127 Enter

// will convert into "DMX". so setting the zoom parameter to the center of the DMX range will but it at the center of it's zoom range (provided the zoom range is linear). in case Zoom is a 16bit parameter you'd have to use different numbers (i.e. center is not 127 but 32768), but it'd still be doable.

• The other way around could be editing your fixture-profile to "0-100" But that is not realy nice.

I like ueli's tip the most.

and technicaly EOS i right. Because 45/2=22.5

So lets spread the word of "//" as awesome feature

• Frankly, I am not sure how man fixtures do or do not have linear zoom across the 0-255 spectrum. I know a lot of them will sneak in some macros in the higher numbers of each parameters spectrum. But I can see your solution being useful. I think what I really want is the ability to display zoom as a percentage instead of a degree value, like in MA3 where its simply a setting I can toggle. 

For now, writing 20 macros so that I can quickly assign the right hard DMX value of either an 8bit or 16bit fixture seems the best work around. Kinda crazy, but it works in some cases.

Related