Flowchart of EOS Operations?

Hi,  I have an Element 2, and a stage full of conventional fixtures.  All I have ever used on the Element is recording & playing back cues & submasters.  Now we are renting a few 'movers' for a gig, and they want me to program them.   Suddenly I'm faced with everything that I don't know about EOS.   I've seen several of the training videos, but I just get mixed up when it comes to the 'definitions of operations', or  'flow of operations'.  Is there anything available that shows how the various operations interact?  Example:  A Group is first required to record a Cue.  Can Cues can be made from Groups?  Can Effects be made from Cues?    A Pallet must be available to create an Effect.   I just have no grasp on how all of these functions and operations interact.   Thanks for any assistance.

• Hmmm... I think the learning stages platform would be a big help to you specifically Chapter 8 of the Element Level 1 Essentials course.

But I would say the biggest things are... Know how to patch Multiple Parameter Fixtures I.E "Moving Light Fixtures".... be comfortable/familiar with filters including record filters for Record Only, Update Absolute, Update Manual, Breaking Nested References and recall from...

Yes you can make cues from groups, you "can't" make effects from cues, but cues can reference effects in cues...

A pallet does not have to be available for an effect... but you "can" use a pallet in certain types of effects...

The element level 1 workbook will help walk you through several of these commands and command line structures... I would start there.

• I think it might be helpful to start by defining some of these terms more to  help with understanding.

A group is a selection tool.  It allows you to select a number of channels, in a specific order, by typing in Group # Enter.  You don't have to have a group to create a cue, but it can be a handy tool when setting levels and recording things.

Effects allow you to have changes happening on a channel or set of channels actively.  You can then record these into submasters or cues to be played back later.  They allow for level changes to happen without you having to hit GO to create each level change.  This is simplified but considering your questions I think may help.

A palette is a way to save a look to be reused later.  We call this referenced data.  It can be used in a variety of places.  Lets say I  set a red color, I love it, and I say "this is my perfect red."  I record a color palette.   Now ever time I want to use that red I just call up the color palette and record it into my cues.  My lighting designer arrives and she and I disagree about about that perfect red.  We change the color palette and now ever cue it was referenced in is automatically updated to her perfect red.  I only had to make one change. 

I could also use a palette in an effect as the level to which I want a fixture to go. 

• Hi mwilson.    I'm still having difficulty with EOS.  I have viewed so many of the training videos.  They're all mixed-up in my head.   

I'm confused by the relationship between some of the EOS functions & components.  I have some Groups, that work with some Effects, but not others.    I have some Groups, that work with some Color Palettes, but not others.  I have some groups that works with some Presets, and not others.   And on & on.    I need to know how all of these various operations interact.     

Thanks again.

• Hi saranow.    I'm still having difficulty with EOS.  I have viewed so many of the training videos.  They're all mixed-up in my head.   

I'm confused by the relationship between some of the EOS functions & components.  I have some Groups, that work with some Effects, but not others.    I have some Groups, that work with some Color Palettes, but not others.  I have some groups that works with some Presets, and not others.   And on & on.    I need to know how all of these various operations interact.     

Thanks again.

• groups don't interact with any of those other record targets. they are just a means to selecting channels. if you have groups that don't work with certain effects that means that the channels inside that group don't work with that effect. if you have groups that don't work with a certain color palette that means that the channels inside this group don't work with the palette.

a channel not working with a certain channel(s) would usually mean that you simply haven't recorded values for those channels into the palette.

• I didn't record the palettes.  How do I look inside the Palettes to see what Groups or Channels are recorded inside of them? 

• quick method, without seeing details:
    Group ColorPalette1 Enter
    will select channels that have values inside those palettes

slightly longer method, showing full details:
    Blind, ColorPalette 1 Enter
    will show all values for each channel

• These 2 tidbit of information are exactly what I have been looking for for weeks & weeks.    Thank you so much.   Publish these two series of commands on the top of every document.   Thanksomuch.    Next:    So how do I update a Preset on the DS page with channel & intensity information?  A kind of 'all-in-one'  Preset.   Or should I just use a Macro?    Thanks again.

• in Live, where channel 1 is a channel missing values in preset/palette 2:

- set channel 1 to the color/position or whatever state you want to add to the preset/palette.
    - Channel 1 Update Preset 2 Enter

• OK, so this is not working for me.  My Channel is 111.   My Preset is 17.

I click: Live 111 Update Preset 17 <enter>        The Channel & intensity is not added to Preset 17.

Which brings me back to the question that I had before this one.   How do I look inside the Presets to see what dataare recorded inside of them? 

• i answered the looking inside above:

quick method, without seeing details:
    Group ColorPalette1 Enter
    will select channels that have values inside those palettes

slightly longer method, showing full details:
    Blind, ColorPalette 1 Enter
    will show all values for each channel

you can only update stuff that's writte in in red. which it would be if you actually changed the value of intensity you want to put into the preset. if you want to put a value that's not written in red into a preset you will have to use Record instead of Update.

• Nope.  so this is not working for me.  My Channel is 111.   My Preset is 17.

I click: Live 111 Record Preset 17 <enter>   <enter>    The Channel & intensity is not added to Preset 17.

Related