Custom Profile for Sparkular unit

Hello,

I have just made a custom profile for a cold spark unit called Sparkular that we plan to rent for an upcoming show.  I've attached screenshots of the DMX profile from the user manual, my custom profile on Eos (including the breakdown of the 4 ranges of channel one), and the resulting controls from the Moving Lights controls for the channel which I patched this to.  I've not worked with custom profiles enough to be super comfortable that I made this the best way.  Does anyone see any problems with this profile?
So you will know, ETC, understandably, can't make a profile for the unit since it could be considered a pyro device in some states.  Here is a forum post where this was discussed:  (7) Fixture request - Eos Family - Eos Family Consoles - ETC - Community (etcconnect.com)
Thanks for any help,
Steve
  • Steve. I went through the same deal way back when I discovered ETC would not do profiles for these. And rightfully so. Many locations are now considering these devices as Pyro devices and I am being extremely picky where I use them and almost at the point of not using them at all.

Anyway what I do is record three subs: one to activate the heat, one to activate the spark and one to activate the clean. I record the spark sub at full so I can manually control how high I want them to go. I bring up the heat sub in the required amount of time before they are going to be used and then add the spark as needed. Then once they are off the chart in the event, I bring down the heat so they don't accidentally get activated.

Once the event is over and I want to clean them I bring up the sub(s) for that.

I also like to use a completely separate console (for me the smart fade) to run them with a completely separate dmx feed. If I use an EOS console I set the subs so everything is excluded, keeping them from being recorded into anything.

And finally I assign someone at the device power breaker(s) for shut off just in case they don't want to do so on command.

These have become a stress factor for me that is causing me to not want to use them at all. Perhaps outdoor and where no flammables are near and away from any performers or other people.

A couple of years ago I spoke with a representative of one of the manufactures that someone claimed their product ignited some decorations and they ran exhaustive tests and were unable to duplicate it. They feel what may have happened was the customer used a granule which was not of their product which of course was not approved for their devices. They said their granule is the ONLY one they approve of.

• Hello Steve, the Profile looks good to me.

One could argue if the output is realy a dimmer or rather a "Fire" or "Flame" Parameter. That would than be a Form-Parameter.

But having it as intensity is also ok.

The Fixture itself is quite simple though ; )

• Jeff and Mathilda,

Thanks very much for your replies.  Jeff, I especially appreciate the insight you shared regarding these units.  I emailed the director this morning and hope to sit down with him to rethink control for the Sparkulars and their use in the show.  My initial thought is to separate control of the two control channels between two different consoles.  Channel 2 of the fixtures would be softpatched to and controlled by the Eos while a remote console (nearer the stage) would have Channel 1 softpatched to it.  The remote console operator would be cued for the "Pre-heat ON" cycle and be the "eyes" in case the E-stop function needs to be activated while the Eos would only control the "intensity" of the sparks.  And it's not un-thinkable that we could have someone at the breakers as well.   This would kinda render my custom profile pointless though.   Oh well.
    Regarding the profile, I did rethink the control channel and made Home be 0 instead of 255.  My presumption is that having the "Pre-heat ON" engaged all night would probably not be very nice for the unit.  And your comment about bringing the "heat down so they don't accidentally get activated" helps me know that was the right choice.
    Thanks again to both of you.
    Steve
Related