Foundation & Eos integration

Not sure if the following is by design or a bug, but figured I'd bring it up here to the folks who know the products best. We have two Gio @5's on a project, one in primary, the second in backup, and a couple pucks in client mode in locations to display relevant rigging and lighting data for our SM and ASM on a production.

The primary @5 is in user 1, the backup @5 is in user 2, and the clients are in user 99.

The SM magic sheet has motor status tiles as well as text objects with commands to pull in and display some relevant playback and system status information. The primary @5 displayed objects all as expected, but the secondary and clients only displayed the motor status tiles, the playback and system status text fields remained blank. 

Originally, foundation was only pointing OSC motor status, playback, and system status to the primary. After a little while scratching my brain, I added the IP addresses of the backup and the clients to the OSC output of the foundation, and all revelant data now appears on the magic sheets as expected.

I incorrectly assumed that the primary would be the only destination where OSC would need to be sent, and that it would parse the data and make it available for all other consoles in the project, especially since it works with motor status tiles, but it does not seem to be the case with text commands. Is this by design, a limitation of OSC, or a bug?

Thanks,
Eric

Parents
  • Hi Eric, currently there are limitations to how Eos Primary keeps Magic Sheet OSC objects' text sync'd.  In fact, the Backup and Clients ignore incoming OSC by design.

I did find something that might explain how you thought your Backup and Clients were receiving OSC.  If you refresh the Magic Sheet by opening it for Edit on the Primary, then closing it, that will push the Text of those OSC buttons/labels to the Backup and Client(s).  The downside is that it works in reverse, too:

• Receive OSC on the Primary to make the label say “Test”
      The Backup and Clients' label is empty
    • On the Primary, MS Edit > Close edit, now the Backup/Clients read “Test”
    • Receive OSC on the Primary to make that label say “Received OSC”
      // Backup and Clients still say “Test”
    • On the Backup or a Client, MS Edit > Close, now the Primary reads “Test” as well, reverting from the actual last-received OSC.

We are looking at improving and extending the available connection between Foundation and Eos in future Eos versions; I'll make a note that Clients need to be kept sync'd with that information too.

• Hey Matt,

Is there a reason why backup and client device magic sheets don't get the updated OSC by design? I have wondered this for a while and just never had a chance to reach out about it. I can think of a ton of reasons why it would be great to see that data on all connected devices, outside of just Foundation stuff. I was working on a couple of projects that I had to somewhat put on hold because of this. 

Mike

• I must admit that this does seem like it's an issue to be 'by design' this way, especially as we frequently advise running the 'operating console' as the Backup, so that you're not changing consoles if the Primary falls over. Therefore you need everything on the Backup to be identical to the Primary.

• When the backup changes roles from Backup to Primary, it will begin to act on incoming OSC messages.

Reply Children
No Data
Related