Why Do The Screens Have to Change So Much???

Hello,

Why is it that at pretty much every given moment during a long day of programming lights on ETC eos or Ion, 50% of my time is spent switching back to the screen I was previously on because the software thought I wanted to see a totally different screen? I get that it wants to show me the most relevant screen depending on context, but the screens probably shouldn't be break dancing every time I hit a button on the console. My biggest gripe is its fascination with forcing me to see a magic sheet or live table every time I switch back into live.

How do I make it stop shoving this thing in my face 361 times a day when I only want to look at it 4-5 times a day?

I really wish these things would stop trying to read my mind. They're really bad at it. If I keep going back to a certain screen over and over again, stop fighting me and just stay on that stupid screen. 

ETC's fundamental architecture probably shouldn't have this deeply engrained philosophy of, "change the user's screens as often as possible". 

Not sure if this is a question or discussion, probably both, but if anyone knows of a button hiding somewhere that turns the screen-changing off, I'd love to know about it. But it definitely seems like this is part of ETC's core philosophy: "change the screens depending on context whether this is helpful to the user or not". 

Parents
  • And another thing is that, I did make another post about this a while ago, but the whole concept of using cues when you're trying to do timecode is probably not a great idea. I've been thinking about it and cues are a very human way of thinking about things, and what we're doing when we force computers to think about the world in terms of cues, is we're assuming that computers have the same limitations that humans have. And they don't. What I mean by that is humans in theatre depend on using cues because that is the easiest way for a big group of people to stay on the same page—when this actor says that, that line is Cue 47 and everyone has been taught what to do at Cue 47. 

Computers don't need to think that way. With computers, we can step outside the limitations of a big group of humans and think about things in terms of keyframes. So cues are snapshots of an entire rig (yes I know about cue only) and keyframes are points in time where we take a snapshot of just a single parameter completely independent of everything else. So with keyframes, we can say that Channel 1 should start at 0% intensity on Cue 1 and by Cue 100, it should be at Full. Meanwhile, there are 99 other things happening with dozens of other lights. And then you can decide if you want the interpolation between those two points in time to be linear, quadratic, or parabolic, or whatever you want. It's sort of like a cross between a linear effect and an absolute effect. Of course this is talking about timecode, not anything else. 

Another thing I've been thinking about is that the entire concept of Blind vs. Live probably isn't a great idea, at least not in its current form. The idea that a user must go into blind in order to edit a sub or look at groups or look at show control blows my mind. The user should be able to choose when they do or do not want to go into blind. Blind is great. But it should not be forced upon the user. If you're spending a lot of time working between a cue list and a show control for timecoding, you should not have to constantly be switching between live and blind. You shouldn't have to go into blind to edit an effect. You shouldn't have to go into blind just to glance at your list of groups if you don't have a direct select thing set up. You DEFINITELY shouldn't be forced to look at a f-ing live table every time you switch back. I honestly don't even know why anyone would have a desire to look at that. It's a really bad way of organizing information - great for specific things, but it's definitely not a commonly used tool... so why force us to look at the ugly thing so much?

I think there are a lot of ways this software as a whole is thinking about things the wrong way at the fundamental level. A common theme seems to be the theme of the board being too controlling over the user. It shouldn't make so many decisions for me. 

• And another thing is that, I did make another post about this a while ago, but the whole concept of using cues when you're trying to do timecode is probably not a great idea. I've been thinking about it and cues are a very human way of thinking about things, and what we're doing when we force computers to think about the world in terms of cues, is we're assuming that computers have the same limitations that humans have. And they don't. What I mean by that is humans in theatre depend on using cues because that is the easiest way for a big group of people to stay on the same page—when this actor says that, that line is Cue 47 and everyone has been taught what to do at Cue 47. 

Computers don't need to think that way. With computers, we can step outside the limitations of a big group of humans and think about things in terms of keyframes. So cues are snapshots of an entire rig (yes I know about cue only) and keyframes are points in time where we take a snapshot of just a single parameter completely independent of everything else. So with keyframes, we can say that Channel 1 should start at 0% intensity on Cue 1 and by Cue 100, it should be at Full. Meanwhile, there are 99 other things happening with dozens of other lights. And then you can decide if you want the interpolation between those two points in time to be linear, quadratic, or parabolic, or whatever you want. It's sort of like a cross between a linear effect and an absolute effect. Of course this is talking about timecode, not anything else. 

Another thing I've been thinking about is that the entire concept of Blind vs. Live probably isn't a great idea, at least not in its current form. The idea that a user must go into blind in order to edit a sub or look at groups or look at show control blows my mind. The user should be able to choose when they do or do not want to go into blind. Blind is great. But it should not be forced upon the user. If you're spending a lot of time working between a cue list and a show control for timecoding, you should not have to constantly be switching between live and blind. You shouldn't have to go into blind to edit an effect. You shouldn't have to go into blind just to glance at your list of groups if you don't have a direct select thing set up. You DEFINITELY shouldn't be forced to look at a f-ing live table every time you switch back. I honestly don't even know why anyone would have a desire to look at that. It's a really bad way of organizing information - great for specific things, but it's definitely not a commonly used tool... so why force us to look at the ugly thing so much?

I think there are a lot of ways this software as a whole is thinking about things the wrong way at the fundamental level. A common theme seems to be the theme of the board being too controlling over the user. It shouldn't make so many decisions for me. 

Children
No Data
Related