Go to cue vs loading to a playback and pressing go?

Hi,
Just having a discussion around using ‘go to cue’ to skip ahead to a future cue and loading a cue into playback then Pressing go. Does one offer any advantages/disadvantages over the other? I generally use go to cue if I want an immediate transfer into a cue and load if I’m say waiting for a cue to be called out of sequence, but just been told go to cue is only used for programming and even then it’s bad and you should always load a cue into a playback and press go as it’s better and uses all the desks features that go to cue doesn’t.

thanks!

Parents
  • Thank you for reaching out. Interesting question!

For out-of-sequence Go's (i.e. you loaded a cue into playback that isn't your regular next cue) GoToCue and Go perform basically the same operation.

The differences are:

• GoToCue uses the time set in Setup > User > Manual Timing, whereas Go uses the cue's time. If you append the GoToCue command with Time, this will also use the cue time: [GoToCue] x [Time] [Enter]. Like this you'll also get the Follow/Hang cues.
      In setup you can also set you GoToCue time to "Cue" you'll always get GoToCue using cue time and running Follow/Hang cues.
    • Because you can have a selection while pressing Go, but not when using GoToCue, you can't command-line-capture channels with GoToCue. Command-line-capturing is when you have channels with a manual value and a selection ("red plus gold"). Those red values are protected against playback. To achieve the same for GoToCue you can use [Capture] to capture channels beforehand.
    • When loading a cue and then pressing Go the console tries to mark for this new next cue. This is something that GoToCue doesn't do. It doesn't know in advance where you want to go so there's no time to do preparations. Of course this marking will not always work. If channels are currently on and will also be on in the next cue with a new position, then there'll be no marking and you'll see the open move anyway.

Other than those three variations there should be no visible differences. Both commands perform an Assert (i.e. no matter if a value is a move instruction or tracked, all values will be forced into playback), execute the Execute actions and you'll end up in the same look on stage.

If your colleagues feel like I'm forgetting something please feel free to invite them to this discussion.

• Thank you for reaching out. Interesting question!

For out-of-sequence Go's (i.e. you loaded a cue into playback that isn't your regular next cue) GoToCue and Go perform basically the same operation.

The differences are:

• GoToCue uses the time set in Setup > User > Manual Timing, whereas Go uses the cue's time. If you append the GoToCue command with Time, this will also use the cue time: [GoToCue] x [Time] [Enter]. Like this you'll also get the Follow/Hang cues.
      In setup you can also set you GoToCue time to "Cue" you'll always get GoToCue using cue time and running Follow/Hang cues.
    • Because you can have a selection while pressing Go, but not when using GoToCue, you can't command-line-capture channels with GoToCue. Command-line-capturing is when you have channels with a manual value and a selection ("red plus gold"). Those red values are protected against playback. To achieve the same for GoToCue you can use [Capture] to capture channels beforehand.
    • When loading a cue and then pressing Go the console tries to mark for this new next cue. This is something that GoToCue doesn't do. It doesn't know in advance where you want to go so there's no time to do preparations. Of course this marking will not always work. If channels are currently on and will also be on in the next cue with a new position, then there'll be no marking and you'll see the open move anyway.

Other than those three variations there should be no visible differences. Both commands perform an Assert (i.e. no matter if a value is a move instruction or tracked, all values will be forced into playback), execute the Execute actions and you'll end up in the same look on stage.

If your colleagues feel like I'm forgetting something please feel free to invite them to this discussion.

Children
No Data
Related