Control Non-Dim Circuits via the Board (Relays (R20) Replacing CC(20) Perhaps?)

Hi,

I am the Lighting Lead at a theater in NC; I just started this fall, and so I have had time for things to settle and see where they've landed.

One of the most annoying things about our current system setup is that all our non-dim fixtures (LEDs, movers, etc) have to be controlled by a non-dim card (a Constant 20A card). This means whenever we power them up or shut down, someone has to go to the dimmer rack (unfortunately located in a random maintenance closet) and switch them on/off. I heard from a buddy of mine that it might be possible to do this from the board via a command if I were to switch the non-dim CC20 Cards to Relay Cards R20, but I have not been able to find helpful documentation or articles online of others that have done this. If anyone has any advice or can walk through what the actual setup process/board commands would be, that would be greatly appreciated! (Board is an ION)

Thanks!

Alex

• Hello Alex,

I use R20AF modules to power movers and LED fixtures.  If you have CEM3, you can also use Thru-Power modules.  I haven't had a chance to work with them, yet.

I use a computer on my lighting network and sACNView to control the relays, so that the console isn't the source of the fixtures staying powered.  This way if I need to shutdown the console or change files I don't have to worry about remembering what is parked or not.  In my set-up, I have a distro that I use for some mover power and relays for other remote locations that are a pain to get cable to from the distro.  I have the computer at the distro, so I power on my movers and LEDs from the same location.

Hope this helps,

John

• Hi Alex

I run a concert hall in Vancouver, and have a similar set-up (strand dimmer racks, ETC Ion consoles).

discuss with other the ETC relay cards in the Rack

what I do in the console:

I have multiple non-dim modules (on/off) in the rack, for different catwalk, balcony, and stage locations.

each location has it's unique "dimmer" number (address) and is patched to a Channel.

I made a Macro 995 that PARKS each channel to full.

(That macro also parks my running lights, safety lights, and aisle lights, to suitable/required levels in the venue; and triggers Snapshot 1 so the console always looks the same at boot up, no matter how it was left.)

Set that Macro to be the Start Up Macro (somewhere in the Settings / Console)

I also have a Macro 996 that Clears all parked channels and addresses.

This is my Shut Down Macro.

when you boot the console, it triggers Macro 995.  995 parks the necessary channels at their levels.  Movers turn on.

when you shut down the console, it triggers Macro 996, which clears Parked Channels and addresses, and everything turns off.  you walk away.

I've also recorded Intensity Palettes (Aisle Lights, Running Lights, Catwalk Pwr, Stage Pwr, Canopy Pwr) identical to what the Parked levels are.  those IPs are recorded into a sub handle.  I push up that sub, and all aisle lights and movers power up, AND I CAN SEE THE CHANNEL IS UP.  you could add sub 995 @ full in the macro. and do the same thing.  I like this because it gives visiblity to the channel being on, and why it's on, rather than only the small white 'p'.  "I know it's parked, but why is it parked?"

Having it on the sub is also a redundancy in case there is an issue with the macro.

Good luck.

Related