Lamp on/off question

Hi,

I have four ADJ Hydro beam x12 fixtures.They are discharge lamps.I only use them at the beginning and at the end of a three hour show.

My understanding is that I can't use the shutter for dimming during the rest of the show because the shutter will become damaged if it is closed to long.

Is this correct?

I can shut off the lamp with lamp control of course(I still have to test this) although this is not a programmable function but I can live with that.

What is the best practice in this case.

Regards,Jack

Parents
  • Hi Jack,

Just some thoughts on this: The rule of thumb I've always used is that striking a lamp takes an hour off of it's life (but it really depends on the lamp and fixture). Therefore, I would avoid restricting a lamp multiple times within a show, plus you run the risk of it not striking back up when you need it, plus you need to time it because discharge lamps need time to come up to the correct intensity and color. 

You might want to contact ADJ and see what is the maximum amount of time they recommend (and will warranty) a fixture for with the lamp on and douser in use. It should be longer than a few hours.

Jason

• Hi Jack,

Just some thoughts on this: The rule of thumb I've always used is that striking a lamp takes an hour off of it's life (but it really depends on the lamp and fixture). Therefore, I would avoid restricting a lamp multiple times within a show, plus you run the risk of it not striking back up when you need it, plus you need to time it because discharge lamps need time to come up to the correct intensity and color. 

You might want to contact ADJ and see what is the maximum amount of time they recommend (and will warranty) a fixture for with the lamp on and douser in use. It should be longer than a few hours.

Jason

Children
No Data
Related