Changing Lamp Controls in the Fixture Editor?

So...I've been wrangling with this for a couple of days now and haven't made much progress.  I'm trying to edit a copy of a fixture definition to make it behave the way *I* want, and so far I've found out a lot of stuff I can't do.  I grow weary of smashing my head against this particular wall...

The fixture in question is an Xspot, the definition I'm using is the X_Spot_Xtreme_CM/RG/IR_S.  What I would like to have happen is to have the Intens_Mech channel go to a level I specify in the Home Preset.  What happens is the fixture ignores any information for that channel recorded into the Home Preset.   The Intens_Mech home button (ML controls or Encoders) does send the parameter to the level set in the home field of that parameters definition. Unfortunately, homing the entire fixture seems to leave several  Fixture Control kind of parameters unaddressed.  While this is not the end of the world, it would be nice if the fixture didn't do some weird strobing effect because the Intens_Mech was still at some level even after the fixture has been homed.

That parameter is greyed out in the Fixture Editor, so I can't edit it.  The other Lamp_Controls channel is greyed out also, so I can't delete it to see if that makes the Intens_Mech parameter editable.  So just how does one go about editing Lamp Controls when the Delete, Parameters and Size soft keys are greyed out in the fixture editor?

Alex

Parents Reply Children
  • It's definitely just the Mac Offline. PC Offline has the lamp controls.

-M

• Hans.Hinrichsen said:

Very interesting indeed.  It will be there on the console, but that might be something with the Mac OLE.  I'll investigate.

Hans I didn't see it in 1.9.6 Mac OLE either, but it is in the 1.9.8 beta Mac OLE.

• There are definitely issues with window sizes in 1.9.6 that were fixed in 1.9.8 that I noticed as well. What I did notice is that those softkeys were getting cutoff in the Mac OLE in the bottom left but with a bit of looking around you can still utilize them if needed. If you open the Virtual Keyboard in a tab, you will then be able to see that above fixture editor. Though the softkeys are missing including lamp controls in the bottom right corner, on the virtual keyboard they will be visible under the hard keys. Definitely a workaround until 1.9.8 is released!

-Jared

• Well now...I've downloaded the PC v1.9.6 OLE and the soft keys were all in the right place on the screen.  However, working with the Lamp__Controls parameter hasn't helped me.  I haven't had any luck with my original problem, editing a parameter that is greyed out, or partially greyed out.  There are several other parameters  are also greyed out, #'s 3,13,21,23,25 and so on.  They are, by and large, mode changing parameters for other parameters on the fixture. For example, several of the parameters are; Gobo_Wheel_Mode, Color_Wheel_Mode, Diffusion_Mode etc. If I try and make a change to any of the parameters fields, I get a "This field may not be edited in the fixture" message. 

I think in my original post I used the wrong terminology.  I guess what I'm really trying to edit is a "non-visual" (?) parameter that is greyed out in the fixture editor.  Any advice?

Alex

• The parameters are 'greyed out' to show that there are dependencies between those parameters and others. We lock them out so those functions don't get accidentally broken.
    - For example you would need to delete the Lamp Controls before you can edit the lamp control parameter(s).

Unfortunately there are also several other kinds of dependencies that we don't yet have a way to show you and allow you to edit them, so those parameters can't be unlocked.

Exposing the remainder of these special functions and allowing you to edit them is already 'on the list', so it will come in the fullness of time.

[edited by: Richard at 5:05 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, May 16 2011]
  • Unfortunately even 11 years later this still seems to be a problem of interdependencies. I wanted to edit some Mode channels to my needs (actually: standardize them) and are running into the same problem: "this field may not be edited in this fixture".
    Any advice / work-around / trick?

• The Modes are a reference.

You first need to cut the reference, and after making your changes, remake the reference.
    If you are still in Berlin i can give you a hand with this. ; )

• Thanks again, for the hint and the offer. I tried it, but found out my approach doesn't work.

(I was hoping to assign categorical User Values to the Strobes Modes, i.e. Closed is 0, Open is 1, Strobe is 2, Pulse is 3 .. -  and do this for all fixtures I use. Not affecting the raw DMX values it would be a smart way to standardize I thought. But for whatever reason, for Modes the user values must match the Dmx values.

• But for whatever reason, for Modes the user values must match the Dmx values.

That is what the Software tells you.

But i made my own experiance with it. And it still works.

As you can see in the Fixture i made for you.

Related