iRFR network setup

Hello All, I just purchased a couple of wireless routers and the ipad iRFR app and am ready to go! I spent time on the product wiki page and am still having diffculties. 1. I am assuming that I need to configure the router *before* it is plugged into the EOS. I have configured many many router/internet connections successfully (computer/modem/router), but when I plug the router straight into the computer to configure it doesn't connect (I have a netgear router and the config address is www.routerlogin.net) What am I missing? 2. In the router config utility there is a "Internet IP Address" where I assume I select "Use Static IP Address" and enter the information manually. What do I use for the DNS server info? 3. Is there a suggested security protocol? 4. WAN? LAN? Hopefully these aren't too basic! Thanks,

[edited by: Pat Immel at 9:39 AM (GMT -6) on Sat, Aug 6 2011]
Parents
  • There is a really great guide on the wiki for setting up your wireless network. http://www.etcconnect.com/Support/Articles/iRFR-How-to-Setup-Your-Wireless-Network.aspx.

One problem they don't address is the ability to set a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 on a consumer router. Most consumer routers do not give this to you as an option. One solution if you have a small network is to check what the other ip's of devices are on the network and you could make the router ip something in the neighborhood of 10.101.100.102 or something like that. Otherwise go to DDWRT and find out if you can load this firmware on the router you have. With this firmware you are turning a $50 router into a $200 router. This will allow you to do the subnet mask like they have it. If you go to Newegg.com they have a bunch of routers that can use the DDWRT firmware.

To answer your questions from above... 1. set up according to the wiki. Disable DHCP on your router. It should already be enabled on your console (if its not, go into the shell and enable it). This will ensure you get the correct set of addresses from the console. 2. Internet IP address: leave all this blank. You shouldn't connect the console to the internet! 3. I would use WPA2 personal ASCII. This is more difficult to break. 4. WAN=Wide area network ie: internet leave that port alone. LAN=local area network = you can use this as a normal switch, plug one of these ports into the console, then take another of those ports into your lighting network if necessary. 

Onne more thing, I don't know if this matters or not, but I always go in and find the settings for "filter multicast." I disable this because ETC is using multicast to send to Sensor+ dimmers and I am not sure if this would interfere or not. 

Good luck!

Updated iRFR link.
    [edited by: starksk at 9:59 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Apr 10 2018]
  • There is a really great guide on the wiki for setting up your wireless network. http://www.etcconnect.com/Support/Articles/iRFR-How-to-Setup-Your-Wireless-Network.aspx.

One problem they don't address is the ability to set a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 on a consumer router. Most consumer routers do not give this to you as an option. One solution if you have a small network is to check what the other ip's of devices are on the network and you could make the router ip something in the neighborhood of 10.101.100.102 or something like that. Otherwise go to DDWRT and find out if you can load this firmware on the router you have. With this firmware you are turning a $50 router into a $200 router. This will allow you to do the subnet mask like they have it. If you go to Newegg.com they have a bunch of routers that can use the DDWRT firmware.

To answer your questions from above... 1. set up according to the wiki. Disable DHCP on your router. It should already be enabled on your console (if its not, go into the shell and enable it). This will ensure you get the correct set of addresses from the console. 2. Internet IP address: leave all this blank. You shouldn't connect the console to the internet! 3. I would use WPA2 personal ASCII. This is more difficult to break. 4. WAN=Wide area network ie: internet leave that port alone. LAN=local area network = you can use this as a normal switch, plug one of these ports into the console, then take another of those ports into your lighting network if necessary. 

Onne more thing, I don't know if this matters or not, but I always go in and find the settings for "filter multicast." I disable this because ETC is using multicast to send to Sensor+ dimmers and I am not sure if this would interfere or not. 

Good luck!

Updated iRFR link.
    [edited by: starksk at 9:59 AM (GMT -5) on Tue, Apr 10 2018]
Children
No Data
Related