iRFR network setup

Hello All, I just purchased a couple of wireless routers and the ipad iRFR app and am ready to go! I spent time on the product wiki page and am still having diffculties. 1. I am assuming that I need to configure the router *before* it is plugged into the EOS. I have configured many many router/internet connections successfully (computer/modem/router), but when I plug the router straight into the computer to configure it doesn't connect (I have a netgear router and the config address is www.routerlogin.net) What am I missing? 2. In the router config utility there is a "Internet IP Address" where I assume I select "Use Static IP Address" and enter the information manually. What do I use for the DNS server info? 3. Is there a suggested security protocol? 4. WAN? LAN? Hopefully these aren't too basic! Thanks,

[edited by: Pat Immel at 9:39 AM (GMT -6) on Sat, Aug 6 2011]
Parents
  • EDIT: Beaten to the punch by Brian and BoSox.

Hi Patrick,

What model Netgear? When you are plugging it straight into your computer, which port are you using, the WAN (internet) port or one of the LAN ports? Make sure to use the LAN ports. If the routerloging.net doesn't work try 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 etc...

I see you have 3 Eos/Ion devices. Are they all networked, or is each its own console in its own theatre?

I skimmed the WIki really quick to see what they suggest. It all looks similar to my normal config, but my quick suggestions to you. Don't use the router as a router. It really just wants to be an access point. Meaning, do not use the internet port. Only the LAN ports.

Turn off DHCP. Turn off NAT. Turn off any firewall. (or maybe Netgears have a Setup wizard where you can just say "be an access point". I don't know. 

I'm not as familiar with Netgear as others, but there should be a "LAN IP" or something like that set for the device. Change that to the wiki suggested 10.101.124.101.

Subnet: 255.255.0.0

Router/ Gateway: Set it to the IP of your console. 

DNS is blank.

Note that when you disable DHCP, and change the LAN IP address, you will lose connectivity to your router and will have to manually give your computer an IP to get back in touch with it. I would suggest that you set your Wireless SSID name, passwords etc first, then change the LAN IP, then as the last step, turn off DHCP. When you change the LAN ip, after the router reboots, you will probably have to get your self back to the config page. The 192.168.x.1 address that you used before will now be the LAN IP (10.101.124.101) that you set. 

Also, since you mentioned that you bought multiple routers, I'm not sure if this is for one network, or multple networks, but if its one network, remember that each router needs it own IP. So the first would be 10.101.124.101, the second .102, the third .103 etc... If each is on its own network, then they can all be .101 so you can remember it easily.

I hope that all makes sense. This is basically how I set up my wireless. There are probably about 10 different ways that all end up with the same working network, so your milage may vary.

Good luck,

-ben 

[edited by: travisres at 10:46 AM (GMT -6) on Sat, Aug 6 2011]
  • EDIT: Beaten to the punch by Brian and BoSox.

Hi Patrick,

What model Netgear? When you are plugging it straight into your computer, which port are you using, the WAN (internet) port or one of the LAN ports? Make sure to use the LAN ports. If the routerloging.net doesn't work try 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 etc...

I see you have 3 Eos/Ion devices. Are they all networked, or is each its own console in its own theatre?

I skimmed the WIki really quick to see what they suggest. It all looks similar to my normal config, but my quick suggestions to you. Don't use the router as a router. It really just wants to be an access point. Meaning, do not use the internet port. Only the LAN ports.

Turn off DHCP. Turn off NAT. Turn off any firewall. (or maybe Netgears have a Setup wizard where you can just say "be an access point". I don't know. 

I'm not as familiar with Netgear as others, but there should be a "LAN IP" or something like that set for the device. Change that to the wiki suggested 10.101.124.101.

Subnet: 255.255.0.0

Router/ Gateway: Set it to the IP of your console. 

DNS is blank.

Note that when you disable DHCP, and change the LAN IP address, you will lose connectivity to your router and will have to manually give your computer an IP to get back in touch with it. I would suggest that you set your Wireless SSID name, passwords etc first, then change the LAN IP, then as the last step, turn off DHCP. When you change the LAN ip, after the router reboots, you will probably have to get your self back to the config page. The 192.168.x.1 address that you used before will now be the LAN IP (10.101.124.101) that you set. 

Also, since you mentioned that you bought multiple routers, I'm not sure if this is for one network, or multple networks, but if its one network, remember that each router needs it own IP. So the first would be 10.101.124.101, the second .102, the third .103 etc... If each is on its own network, then they can all be .101 so you can remember it easily.

I hope that all makes sense. This is basically how I set up my wireless. There are probably about 10 different ways that all end up with the same working network, so your milage may vary.

Good luck,

-ben 

[edited by: travisres at 10:46 AM (GMT -6) on Sat, Aug 6 2011]
Children
No Data
Related