VLZ Profile Edits Needed

Greetings,

We have both the Wash and Profile versions of this fixture Vari-Lite (VLZ).  I have noticed a few odd things with the fixture library and I am thinking they may need an update.   The fixture's frost ability should be light frost, heavy frost, and then both frosts together.   For some reason the profile has only one option for frost, instead of 3 selections.

Also the shutter assembly (especially on the profile) starts the blades not straight in.   The fixture can be pointed straight on, but the shutters will start in on an angel even though they are at a 50/50 home, so I have to adjust the whole assembly rotation fist.  Seems to me home is off in the profile.

Cheers,

Brendan Keith

Parents
  • Hello Brendan, 

Can you confirm that you are running the latest software v3.1.1 and the latest fixture library patch v3.1.1 build 14 on your console? it is possible these errors have been corrected already.  

If you are indeed up to date, please provide information on what the incorrect values are and what they should be, as well as an up to date manual.  I will be happy to submit the request for update.

• VariLIte_VLZ_Profile_Dmx_Map_2.01.pdfVariLite_VLZ_Wash_DMX_Channel_Map.pdf

Hi Justin,

I have attached the DMX charts for the VLZ Profile and Wash.  The issues I have noticed to date are with the Profile  - Gobo Wheel 1 DMX 23, not all the options are set correctly or listed.   Also DMX 54 which is the frost has many different options, but the profile only has 1.  The frost is also an issue with the Wash unit under DMX 45 with the same problem.  It may be worth someone going through and confirming the actual values.    The other issue we have with 2 venues and all these fixtures is with the shutters.  The rotation assembly is set at 50% (home) per the manual, but when you bring the blade in the desk says it should be straight, but onstage they are at an angle.   Our VL service tech is going to take our spares and test them on some other desks to see if it is a manufacture problem.  For now you need to offset the home position of the fixture by about 12 degrees.

• Which specific fixtures and fixture personalities are you using?
    There are currently four VLZ personalities in the library:

• VLZ Profile 16B
    • VLZ Profile Enhanced 16B
    • VLZ Spot Enhanced 16B
    • VLZ Wash Enhanced 16B

Looking at our history it seems that we made some changes to these personalities last year, so it's possible we've already corrected the errors you've found and you just need to update.

Can you check again with the "latest" (Library 3.1.1.14 as of this post)

For shutters:
    Unfortunately the attached documents don't say anything about the physical layout of the framing shutters, we'd need more information to check that.

Sadly very few fixture manufacturers publish good information about shutters Disappointed 

It does look like we may have incorrect Frame Assembly user values in 3.1.1.14 (for VLZ Profile/Enhanced  Profile) though, it's currently +/- 50deg and that document says it should be +/- 90.
    "Home" (0deg) should still be correct though as that is DMX 32767 as specified in the document.

Eos uses the following shutter naming convention:

With:

• Shutter Order (in Patch) at default
    • Pan at 0 deg
    • Tilt to +90 deg
    • Frame Assembly rotate at 0 deg

For 'pushrod' style shutters like in the VLZ:

• The a/b sides run clockwise in the 'image on the wall'.
    • Frame a/b 1 controls the two ends of shutter A
    • Frame a/b 2 controls the two ends of shutter B
    • etc...

So in the bottom part of the diagram (fixture hung base up):
    "Frame a 1" should be the left-hand corner of the A (top) shutter.

Shutter user value "100" is exactly halfway across the beam, so setting them all to 100 should result in all four shutters meeting in the middle - assuming the fixture can physically do that!

• Hi Richard,

I have the latest library (Library 3.1.1.14) and all these issues are present (ie Frost).  I am using the Enhanced profiles. We hang all our fixtures under the pipe so A is the top.    Yes I saw the 90 degree limit, but funny enough I tried to play with these settings and never got anywhere near 90.   The way I was able to fix the Frame Assembly issue was to set the DMX home to around 25000 instead of 32676.  Then A and others comes straight in no problem.   I should know more next week once the VL shop tech looks at them.  

• Just as a further follow up.  Our VL service shop took a VLZ profile and wash to their shop and tested on a Hog desk and do not have the issue with the shutters.  He reported Hog's profile splits A1 and B1 in to two separate handles as each end of the shutter has its own motor.  EOS seems to lump these together and may have an issue with the home offset.  I does sound like a profile issue though.

• Just as a further follow up.  Our VL service shop took a VLZ profile and wash to their shop and tested on a Hog desk and do not have the issue with the shutters.  He reported Hog's profile splits A1 and B1 in to two separate handles as each end of the shutter has its own motor.  EOS seems to lump these together and may have an issue with the home offset.  I does sound like a profile issue though.

Children
No Data
Related