Reading conventional focus charts

Hi All I just had a quick question about the conventional focus paperwork, 

For instants Ch.179 

US Edge +20 ( this means that the Upstage edge of the gobo is at +20 feet correct?

under the picture there is 11R - 2R ( dose this mean that the centre of the Gobo is at 11 feet upstage and 2 feet stage right? 

With Ch. 148 it's 8 feet upstage with the Scallop @ 4 feet stage right, What is a Scallop?

Going to be doing this with some students and what to be sure I have the right answers to their questions 

thanks John 

Parents
  • This is all really helpful. One more question, what does the "Sharp to temp + R132" mean. I'm guessing gel R132 but what's the rest?

• Yep, as said, it's shorthand for specifying the edge to sharpen to.

In real life, this particular system would have the electrician focusing first insert the template (gobo), and then run the barrel sharp to the center of the gobo. (Or to one particular area of the gobo, as referenced by the LD or ALD focusing - in a 36deg or 50deg you have to kind of "pick an area" to be sharp due to the optics). Then when the designer is ready to see it, drop in the R132. 

Focusing a system sharp to the template and then dropping in R132 or *choose your own diffusion* helps to prevent the certain uneven quality that can occur if you are just running the barrel for each individual light to achieve a soft edge.

• Yep, as said, it's shorthand for specifying the edge to sharpen to.

In real life, this particular system would have the electrician focusing first insert the template (gobo), and then run the barrel sharp to the center of the gobo. (Or to one particular area of the gobo, as referenced by the LD or ALD focusing - in a 36deg or 50deg you have to kind of "pick an area" to be sharp due to the optics). Then when the designer is ready to see it, drop in the R132. 

Focusing a system sharp to the template and then dropping in R132 or *choose your own diffusion* helps to prevent the certain uneven quality that can occur if you are just running the barrel for each individual light to achieve a soft edge.

Children
No Data
Related