OSC Integration Questions

I am experimenting with getting the EOS to talk to filemaker via OSC and I'm running into some issues. I am very new to this, so it might be simple things. 

I'm using a plugin to send TCP/UDP strings out of filemaker. I'm directing the string (osc text) to go to the console IP on port 3032. I can send UDP commands easily - well, some of them. I can turn channels and groups on and off, fire cues, those things work without any problems.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get /eos/set/ commands to work, nor can I get command lines to send. 

I'm wondering if I don't have the syntax right? Assume the label for this cue is "test"

/eos/set/cue/1/1/label=test - "Correct" way using EosSyncDemo

I've found that using this plugin or a packet sender app, I have to add /enter to the ends of my commands. This doesn't seem to work on this one, though. 

I then tried to use a TCP connection instead. In filemaker, I can connect and the eos shows connected in diagnostics, but then my strings aren't arriving. Having the same issue when connecting via Packet Sender. This could be another issue.

So I guess the main question here is what should my syntax be to send UDP strings for the command line or for /set/ commands? What am I missing?

• in general: UDP strings should go to the port that you set in eos, setup, show, show control (OSC RX port). and the console would send implicit OSC (e.g. current comand line) on OSC TX port. port 3032 is always there and listening for TCP. for TCP you can choose two styles in the shell: OSC 1.0 and OSC 1.1
  • Mike,

If you are using a UDP plugin there is additional work to make it OSC.  There is a difference between OSC over UDP and UDP strings.  Each has its own ports in the show control setup and needs different formatting on the application side. 

If you can clarify what exactly you are using we may be able to help you get it working.

TCP based OSC is a different animal as well.  

I would suggest you get a firm grasp of how the console side works with UDP, UDP OSC, TCP OSC before trying to send packets from a plugin.  I would suggest TouchOSC as a starting point.

In the console software Tab 99 is your friend. There are buttons to turn on OSC in/out monitoring so you can see what the console is receiving.

It sounds like you are trying to get filemaker to send cue labels to the console.  This can be done simply by using UDP strings without any OSC involvement.

OSC is nice because the console transmits information in addition to receiving it but you need more specificity with your packet wrapping etc to get it working on the filemaker side.

Hope this helps,

• I should rephrase, because it was 4:00am when I originally typed this.

I'm sending OSC commands via UDP. All my settings are correct, I can get simple things like /eos/chan/1/out/enter to work. But I can't get things to post to a command line nor can I use things like /eos/set/cue/1/1/label=xxxx. Wondering what I'm missin in the syntax for those, and I'm assuming it's something to do with needing the /enter command but no matter where I put that command, it doesn't work.
  • Thanks, Andrew - after reading my post from last night, I made it sound more complicated than it was... it was 4:00am. haha,

Anyway, I'm familiar with how the console side works and I've been monitoring the messages on Tab99; my problem is in the formatting of the messages. I can get simple things like /eos/chan/1/out/enter to work. But I can't get things to post to a command line nor can I use things like /eos/set/cue/1/1/label=xxxx. Wondering what I'm missing in the syntax for those, and I'm assuming it's something to do with needing the /enter command but no matter where I put that command, it doesn't work.

I'd like to get the OSC working because eventually I'd like to bring data back into filemaker as well, though as a first step, labeling cues via UDP string would work instead. Would the syntax for such a string be $ Cue 1 Label labeltext #?
  • The Eos Family Show Control User Guide Rev B. doesn't list any /eos/set message. You likely want /eos/cmd or /eos/newcmd. I'm not sure about label commands since it involves strings of strings so some testing is required.

There are several different ways to construct an OSC message for /eos/cmd, string with command line text:

• /eos/newcmd="Cue 1 Label xxxx#"
    • /eos/newcmd="Cue 1 Label xxxx Enter"
    • /eos/newcmd/Cue/%1/Label/%2#=1,xxxx
  • In using some syntax that Jake posted in the FB group, I am now able to get the labels working properly via UDP string.
    <U1> Edit_Target Label Cue 50000 1 -1 TESTLABEL

I have some questions, though, on what the different values in that string correspond to. Is there somewhere I can read more on the UDP strings that the eos accepts other than just the show control manual? It's rather limited in scope...
  • Karl, there is also a Eos Integration pdf on the github. set commands do exist...
  • True, but according to that reference:

Typically you should build Eos command lines and send them with the command /eos/cmd or /eos/newcmd.

• So the info is here on the forum too, not just in the Facebook Group:

The format of the Edit_Target command is as follows:

Edit_Target Label <Target> <Number> <List Number> <Part Number> <Text>

<Target> = “Cue”, “Group”, “Submaster”, “Macro”, etc...
    <Number> = Number x 10,000, so in this example, Cue 101 x 10,000 = 1,010,000
    <List Number> List Number, -1 for any other target
    <Part Number> Part Number, -1 for no specific part

You can also use it for labeling channels in Patch:

Ex to set the label on Channel 2:

<U1>Edit_Target Label Patch 2 -1 -1 Tada

You can also set other Patch fields:

<U1>Edit_Target Notes Patch 2 -1 -1 some notes
    <U1>Edit_Target Gel Patch 2 -1 -1 R80
    <U1>Edit_Target Text1 Patch 2 -1 -1 some text
    <U1>Edit_Target Text2 Patch 2 -1 -1 some other text
  • I have the same plan and would like to control cues via Filmaker. Can I ask which plugin you use?  Is it the MBS FileMaker plugin? Did you make the system run stable?

Related