OSX Client with 2 NIC's

HI all,

We have a Mac Mini with 2 NIC's. One on the normal IT Network and the second to connect to the console for OSC. Whilst this is working I can't change the IP address  EOS Nomad wants to connect to to the second IP address. It is locked to the first IP. And no I can't change the order of my network interfaces, because of the changes in the routing.

Is there a way to change the IP in the shell?

Regards

Parents
  • Hey Flo. Sorry about that. Yes, we will expose these controls in 2.5.
    Thanks!
    anne

• Cannot really proceed with a planned implementation until this feature is enabled. Do you have an expected release timeline for 2.5?
  • It is supposed to be in December I believe although I don't know about your requested feature being in it.  

• As a workaround, it is possible to force Nomad to use a second NIC (on a Mac, anyway), but you'll need to reset it every time you restart the Nomad software.

If your primary NIC is a wireless card, turn the card off.  Then start Nomad, then turn the wireless card back on.

If your primary NIC is a wired connection, I believe you can just unplug the cable from the port, start Nomad, then plug the cable in again.  I don't have one in front of me to test... so you might actually have to remove that NIC from services list in the Network system preferences.

Once Nomad is happily connected, it'll stay stuck on that NIC until you restart the software.  Not ideal, obviously, but perhaps it will get you through until the controls for multiple NICs are exposed.

Hope that helps...

~P

• Hello,

I'm going to write an ETC Support Article for this topic, but the gist is that on both Macs and PCs, you can change the adapter connection order (PC) or priority (Mac) of your Ethernet connections. In order to make this work, you'll change the order on your computer so that whichever port is associated with your lighting network comes first.

Here's a link to a Microsoft article on how to change the order : blogs.technet.microsoft.com/.../

Here's a link to an Apple article on how to change the order:
    support.apple.com/.../PH21578
  • As Florian pointed out in his post, we can't always change the  priority as it affects the routing order.

For example, on my laptop this week I need WiFi to be the first service so I can connect to the internet. My Ethernet adaptor connected to the Eos network must be second.

• HI Matt,

Sorry to spoil the party, but that will not work in cases where your computer is connected to a corporate network as well. Let me explain our setup first.

• Wifi is disabled on our mac mini
    • First Nic ( build in) is used to connect to corporate network to gain access to the Domian, fileserver, sharepoint, sharefile and exchange.
    • Second NIC (Thunderbolt Adapter) is connected to the dedicated Lighting Network.

I cannot change the order of my NIC's, because I don't want all that extra traffic on my LX network, when all my services running on my mac probing on my first NIC. And yes I could block most of the extra traffic at our managed Cisco routers, but that seems to me slightly backwards, or as we would say in German " mit Kanonen auf Spatzen schiessen."

Regards

• There are a few applications for Windows which in theory allow you to target a specific application at a specific NIC, but they are flakey to say the least. The real solution is for ETCnomad to support multiple adapters in the same way as it does on a console.

• Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but are there any plans to implement Nomad support for multiple NICs?

EDIT: I mean, the option to choose which interface to use within the shell. 

• Waiting for it for a long time, 2.6.1 is released and nothing happens.
  • OK what you could do is as has been suggested change the order of the network cards using the standard mac dialog which as you say would then mean you corporate network traffic would end up on your lighting network, which you dont want.

To stop that happening is actually simple, you just tell the mac not to route traffic to that network card other that stuff that is for that local network.

The command to do that which you type in in terminal on the mac is similar to

sudo route delete default 192.168.0.1

replacing the 192.168.0.1 with whatever the address of the default route is on the non corporate network connection (assuming there is even one, if there isn't one then you actually didn't have a problem swapping the order of the interfaces in the first place as none of the non lighting traffic would be going over that link anyway)

To see how the network is setup and to get the address of the route to delete the command is

netstat -rn | more

(that is a - followed by an r and then an n. It looks a bit like an m on the font on this forum)

which will give you something like

Routing tables
    Internet:
    Destination Gateway Flags Refs Use Netif Expire
    default 192.168.0.1 UGSc 12 0 en0
    default 172.20.0.1 UGSc 8 0 en1
    127 127.0.0.1 UCS 0 0 lo0

and from there you can see that you have a default route set on both interfaces so doing the route delete will remove that first one on my machine.

Hope that makes sense and its not as complicated as it sounds.

BTW this is not a permanent change it will go away on reboot and often on pulling out the network cable or adaptor and putting it back in.

• BTW this is not a permanent change it will go away on reboot and often on pulling out the network cable or adaptor and putting it back in.

Therein lies the problem :-\
  • If you try it and it works ok for you then I can tell you how to make it permanent, I didn't want to give you or anyone else out there the instruction to make it permanent until you had tested and got the addresses correct, and checked you could still access your corporate non lighting network :)

Let me know when it works for you and I'll give you the next bit.
  • If you try it and it works ok for you then I can tell you how to make it permanent, I didn't want to give you or anyone else out there the instruction to make it permanent until you had tested and got the addresses correct, and checked you could still access your corporate non lighting network :)

Let me know when it works for you and I'll give you the next bit.
Children
No Data
Related