Smartfade ML is kicking my rear end! :)

Good evenings guys and gals,

We recently installed Elation Tri LED's in our Church facility along with the ETC Smartfade ML console and I'm really having a hard time learning this new setup.  My experience with lighting prior to this installation is the ones we find in our homes!  :)  (which means my knowledge is close to none)

However, when the tech installed the gear he stated the profiles for the Elation lights were not available on the Smartfade ML console as of yet.  My first question, is how would I find out when those profiles became available?  

Since the profile was not able to be configured correctly we have it setup "manually" as he called it.  The "black out" button does not work.  He actually had to make a scene called "black out" for the lights to be turned off.  

He left us with a few scenes in the memory bank to play with and I know how to add another scene, but I feel so handicapped when it comes to learning this stuff.  It makes it hard when I read the manual and my console is not operating in the way it manual says it should since everything is in manual mode.  

Where would be a good resource for me to get my head wrapped around this lighting knowledge.  I know this is going to be a huge task to learn, but at this point I'm feeling overwhelmed and uncertain which to focus on learning first.  

I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks a lot, have a great day!

Alfonso

• Hi Alfonso - 

Could you tell me exactly the model name of the fixtures you are using? SmartFade ML has a limited amount of memory so we publish a fixture library outside of the console software. This library is updated frequently and can be found as a released version here on our Web site, or in a beta version here  (scroll to the end to find the most recent beta version) in our forums. Elation uses "Tri" in many of their LED product names, so I'm hopeful that your actual fixtures are in the library already, but we need the complete name to be sure.

Once we determine if we have your fixture (or one similar to it) in the library, we can help you get that fixture template into your console.

Thanks much -

Sarah

• Alfonso - Check out Smartfade ML training videos on youtube here: 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEB012748EEF26930

And read the Manual - it will help!  Download the latest fixture library from ETC as Sarah mentioned. If the fixtures you have are not included you can still create your own profile (in the Personality Editor) for those fixtures - See pages 32 -37  in the manual.

Good Luck!   PS - I really like my SFML !   

• Thanks for the response!  

Sorry, I'm currently using the Epar TRI fixtures.  I will check the link you provided to see if the profiles are there.  

Alfonso

• The only fixture I see on the list is the Elation EPAR QW.

Thanks again,

Alfonso

• Hi Alfonso -

Which mode are you using for this fixture? It appears that you can use the "Generic" fixture "RGB" if you are using  the three-channel mode in the fixture. The console would then create a virtual intensity controller for you. There's nothing particularly strange about how this fixture works, though, so it should be quite easy to create a custom user template following the instructions in the user manual if you are using a different mode.

I will ask to have this fixture added to the next library though, so stay tuned.

Thanks much -

Sarah

• The Elation EPar Tri is identical in operation to the Elation ELED Tri64B in all modes, so you should use that one.

Looking at its manual, I'd suggest you probably want to have the fixtures in either "4 channel" or "6 channel" mode, depending on whether or not you want the strobe function.

• Sorry for the noob question, but here it is.  Can I tell which Mode I'm using on the Console or do I have to look at the back of the light?  I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I can try to look at the fixture tonight.

If I do change the Profile and Mode for these lights can I potentially mess up the current setup?  Say, I'm in Mode 3 and switch to Mode 6 and go back to 3, will I have all the saved memories still or do I lose that info when I switch modes?  

Sorry for all these questions, but I do appreciate all help I'm getting.

Alfonso

• Richard said:
    Looking at its manual, I'd suggest you probably want to have the fixtures in either "4 channel" or "6 channel" mode, depending on whether or not you want the strobe function.

While going through the manual for the lights it appears I only have channel 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8.  No channel 6.  

Or am I missing something?  

Alfonso

• Please post a link to the correct manual for the lights.

I have found this Elation "EPAR TRI" manual, which shows 1,2,3,4,6 and 7 channel modes.

If your manual shows 1,3,4,5,6 and 8 channel modes, you must have some other type of light.

As Sarah said above, many manufacturers produce several different lights with very similar names which sometimes operate in completely different ways, so it's very important to have the full, complete and accurate name - and in some cases the version number.

However, some of those modes are probably in the Generic manufacturer.

• 3-channel mode is almost certainly "LED - RGB 8b"
    • 4-channel mode is likely to be either "LED - IRGB 8b" or "LED - RGBI 8b"

These Generic "LED - ..." fixtures cover the most common modes found in LED fixtures.

As mode names vary, the Generic LEDs are named using the initials of the parameters in the order they appear, and whether the colours are 8 or 16 bit.
    The parameters are Red, Green, Blue, Amber, White, Intensity, Strobe and Macro.

In answer to your other question:

• The mode is set on the light itself.
    • The mode is usually set using DIP switches, dials or a menu system.
      • Some lights be be configured via RDM or a proprietary programming dongle, but SmartFade ML doesn't do either of those.

The console will believe whatever you tell it - you're the one in charge!
    It's best to write down the DMX addresses, fixture names and modes before doing the "patch" so you can check that you did it right - and keep that paper for future reference!

- In [Dev Sel] mode, you can hold down a Device button (1-24) to make the LCDs display the DMX port:address and fixture type that you've told the console.
    Those need to be a close enough match to what's really out there for it to work.

You can always change the patch (including the type) of individual Devices if you realise you made a mistake or something changes, you don't need to start over.

[edited by: Richard at 3:29 AM (GMT -6) on Thu, Jun 26 2014]
  • Richard said:
    I have found this Elation "EPAR TRI" manual, which shows 1,2,3,4,6 and 7 channel modes.

Weird thing is I have the same manual printed out and the Modes are different.  I'm not losing it!  I promise!  :)

I'll refer to the one online from now on.

Richard said:

However, some of those modes are probably in the Generic manufacturer.

• 3-channel mode is almost certainly "LED - RGB 8b"
    • 4-channel mode is likely to be either "LED - IRGB 8b" or "LED - RGBI 8b"

Totally lost here, I'l look for some reading on Generic manufacturer.  When you speak of 8 and 16 bit color what are you referring to exactly?  Whats the difference between the two?

When I decide to finally take the leap to program a different profile for those lights how bad could I potentially mess up our current system?  The last thing I want to do is lose our current setup.  I won't be attempting this until I can understand it some more, but just a bit curious.  

I'm sorry, if I seem to not understand it yet, but I'm confused as to what I should be learning first.  I watched the patching videos, but still a little confused with the way I'm setup.  

When I install a fresh setup, what is the first thing I would do?  After lights are up, do I determine what Mode I want to use?  After that am I loading the correct profile for the fixture?  Once I load a profile for the fixture how can I tell that profile will work?  Do I need to patch it before I can turn that light on and off?  

Lastly, can I run lights on different Modes?  Or do they all have to be on the same Mode? 

Once again I apologize for all the questions, but I'm really lost when searching online for these answers.  I know it's because I'm probably asking the question wrong, but nonetheless this forum has lent a helping hand to a struggling light guy.  :)

Thanks again, Have a great day!

Alfonso

• "Generic": There are lots of LED fixtures that are controlled identically.

ETC consoles provide a selection of personality templates which will work for many different (mostly LED) lights.
    As they are made by a great many different manufacturers (and rebadged by even more), we list them under "Generic".

To get your current setup back:

• Save your current show to an SD card. Do this now.
      You can always reload all the console data by Loading this show file from the SD card.
    • Make a sketch showing how everything is currently connected together, noting which port things are plugged into etc.
    • Note down the current settings of every light.
      In particular:
      • DMX address
      • Mode
      • Any other options.

When you do a fresh setup from scratch, take the following steps:

1. Decide which lights you need, make a list and number them.
      • On SmartFade ML, your DMX lights would be labelled "D1" through to "D24".
    2. Decide which "mode" each DMX light needs to be in.
      • Many DMX-controlled lights have several modes where they offer different features.*
      • For example, a light may have one mode where it has a Strobe and another mode where it does not.
        If you do not want to use the Strobe (eg there are photosensitive epileptics in your audience), then you could choose a mode which doesn't have the Strobe feature so you don't use it by accident.
      • Note: Each light neither knows nor cares about any of the settings of any other light.
    3. Decide which of the console's DMX ports each light will be connected to, and the DMX address each light should have.
      • Each light will use one or more DMX addresses, the number may change depending the mode chosen.
      • Take care not to have overlapping DMX addressing on the same console DMX port.
        Eg. Light #1 is connected to port U1 and has DMX address 1 and uses 3 addresses.
        You should not put anything else on U1 a DMX address that would use 1, 2 or 3.**
    4. Connect all your lights (and dimmers) to power and DMX ports (as required)
    5. Set each light to the chosen Mode and DMX Adddress.
    6. Using the list you've made, tell the console about all the lights, filling out the type of light, the mode it is in and finally its Dmx Port and DMX Address.
      • This is called "patching"
    7. Try to use each light.
      • If it doesn't work, check the settings in the console, the DMX and power going to the light and the settings on the light to make sure they are exactly as you chose above.
    8. Save to SD card
    9. ?????
    10. Profit.

If you also have lights that plug into dimmers, these are patched to "A1" through "A24" and "B1" though "B24", and it's the settings of the dimmer that matter, not the settings on the lights (as they usually don't have any!).

* You may see 8-bit and 16-bit choices listed in light modes. 8-bit means that the parameter values have up to 256 discrete steps (0-255), while 16-bit means is finer-grained and allows up to 65536 discrete steps (0-65535). In general, 16-bit modes are only needed for Pan & Tilt.

** If you have two or more identical lights in identical modes you can give them an identical DMX address, and they'll do the exact same thing.
    This can be a good way to test lights - set them up it the same way and see if they do the same thing.

• Thanks for all that information!  That alone will keep me busy for awhile.  

I thank all of you for the time I've taken out of your schedules!  :)

I'll post some pictures with results at a later time.  

Thanks again,

Alfonso

• Richard said:

Please post a link to the correct manual for the lights.

Just wanted to clarify.  It appears as if there has been a release to a new manual.  

http://www.elationlighting.com/pdffiles/epar_tri_rev_2_14.pdf

Does this happen often?  Seems a little strange they would release an update with different modes.  

Alfonso

• Thanks for the link.

Sadly yes, this does happen quite often.

Related