Downloaded SmartFade ML Software v2.1.0- now LEDs don't work

I downloaded SmartFade ML's latest software for my church's SmartFade ML board.  Now the intensity for the LEDs no longer work, nor can I control the LED lights via INT DEV 20 -24 faders.  The only way I can turn the LED lights off, is to shut the board down.  

I tried rebooting the board and entering it into test mode, but the problem still exists.  I tried loading a previously saved light show, however the problem stays. I thought it may be something to do with patching, however, I am not familiar with patching devices and wasn't able to determine if that was the problem.  The PC software recognizes the board, and even recognizes when I turn on the faders that control the LEDs, it will show the gradual increase of intensity while I move the fader up, however the lighting itself doesn't even recognize the fader. 

Has anyone had this problem? Is this because of the new software, or something to do with the LEDs themselves?  My church has had to change out the light board 3 times due to various problems, but we started using SmartFade ML in August 2008.  Please advise, thank you.

• Hi,

Do you have any more information as to the type (Make and Model) of LED fixtures you are using?

The fact that the fixtures go off when you remove DMX suggests that you have control of the fixtures. (Not necessarily all the right channels in all the right places but hey.... ) It sounds a bit like something may have changed with how the 'Fade with Intensity' is being handled for your particular fixtures. If you could get as much information on the fixture type and any mode settings they may have and a copy of your showfile we would be happy to take a look for you.

Simon

ETC Tech Service, London

• They are a PIxelpar product, with about 39 bulbs in 1 row. the sequence is blue, green, and  red.  We have about 9 fixtures next to each other, to produce back drop lighting.  Unfortunately, my production manager has no idea the exact model of these LEDs and it will take more time to determine that.  I hope to know more next week.  Also, what's your email address so i can send a showfile to you.  I attempted to post the file, but had no luck.

-Charity

• Charity,

Are you running anything else on your smartfade or just the LED Lights? If so, are the other fixtures working properly?.

• Yes, many other light fixtures are connected, however the LEDs are the only one affected.  I attempted to uninstall the New software, and reinstall the old software from a disk, and the LEDs were still not accessable, thus I reinstalled the new software.  The oddest thing is, past showfiles patch all the other devices but do not patch the LEDs in at all.  The LEDs will come on as soon as I start up the light board, and shut off only when I shut off the light board.  No fader will control the LEDs at all.

• Have you tried pulling down the grand master slider, or pressing the blackout button?  If doing that causes the LED fixtures to go out, then you know that you have control of those fixtures.

If that doesn't reveal anything, then I would check to see which addresses those LEDs are set to (on the fixtures themselves) and then use SmartSoft's DMX output window to see what DMX values you're sending to those devices.

In either case, I suspect that you have a patching problem.

• Hi Charity,

Could you call ETC Technical Support at 1-800-688-4116?  Just ask the person who answers the phone for technical support.  We're here from 8AM till 5PM US central time.  One of the techs can help you trouble shoot your system.

Thanks.

Durrell Ramer

ETC Quotations and Customer Services Manager

• Advanced Audio, who sold the equipment to us, ended up sending a tech to troubleshoot the issue.  It turns out that one of their guys had to create his own patching addresses for the LED lights, thus the new firmware upgrade didn't recognize thus nuked the patching.  So they managed to show me how to repatch the LEDs to the light board, and we managed to correct the situation.  My previous showfiles will have to be individually adjusted, but other than that it works now.  Thank you all for your assistance. 

• We have the Elation Opti Tri Par LEDs that can work in modes from 1 channel up to 7 channel.  We had been working with them in 4 channel mode.  When I updated the console with the new firmware I switched the Opti Tri Par's to 7 channel mode.  However, they would not function with the Intensity.  After trying everything I knew to do, I switched them to 6 channel mode and then the intensity worked.  The Smartfade ml worked with all channel modes on the opti tri par's except the 7 channel mode.

• I am having the same issue. With my Elations set to 7 ch made.

I am running software 2.1.2.9.0.13

library 5.5.2

When I patch them as seven channel mode. Fader 1 which should be intensity (these units have an actual intensity channel in all modes above four channel), instead controls dmx channels 1, 2 & 3 . Which are the RGB channels of this unit. These are also controlled by the hue and sat as well somehow. I haven't tried all of the other modes but six channel does work fine. I use the audio mode quite a bit and therefor use the seven channel mode more than not. Hopefully this can be addressed soon. Thank you.

• Just updated to library 5.5.5 and its the same with seven channel mode.

6 channel works fine.

2 channel only has Intensity on fader one (this is ch 2 on the fixture), but the macro channel (channel 1) isn't patched to anything .

Just out of curiosity is there any plans to make profiles for the other channel modes that arent supported? ( I know the three ch mode can be run with the generic LED profile, but what about four ch?)

• Just realized i didnt include the exact fixture. My two previous posts refer to the Elation Opti-Tri Par.

For anyone interested, the Opti-RGB profile works for the Tri-opti in seven channel mode.

• I have had an American Dj mega Panel LED light Actually "Rebel" Againist in Coming DMX from my ETC Expression 3.  Everytime I went to plug them in, when the board was off, They would be fine, but Whenever I turned on the board, They completely Freaked out on me. I Eliminated them from the DMX Chain and all was good from there on. Had to send them back to get repaired........

DMX; great when it works, and Sucks when it Doesn't....

-Lightinguy1   

Related