Basic Set-Up Help SmartFade ML

Hi I'm hoping one/some of you smart people can help me get the 10 lights I have set-up for the little TV studio I'm making for my media students.

I spent all day yesterday trying to work it out and went over the manual again and again, searched through the forums and tutorials and still can't work it out.

All I want is to be able to select a "device" and use "param 1" and "param 2" to set up the light then in "Int A" have slider "1" bring up or down light 1 "2" up or down light 2 etc...

I have worked out that I can set the sliders for "Int A" under Menu>Patch>Patch By Channel but cannot work out how to set the parameters for each device. I have tried doing a user defined patch in the "Patch Wizard" where I can tell it what the DMX footprint is for the device and then a number is assigned to that device, but I can't change the parameters.

Then I have tried to create a "User Personality" as explained here: How To Create A User Personality On A SmartFade ML but it doesn't seem to change the parameters of the device.

(What is "Home Value"?)

Here are the lights I am trying to set up and what I have set their DMX to:

(DMX 1 & DMX 12) x2 11-channel motorised LED spotlights (says it's made by Betopper model TLS10K) - there is not a personality for them - with the following information in the manual: 

(DMX 40 & 46 & 52) 3x 5-channel RGB LED (Unbranded) with the following information in the manual:

(DMX 25 & 30 & 35) 3x 5-channel Cool/Warm White LED (Unbranded) with the following information in the manual:

(DMX 58 & 64) 2x 6-channel RGB Pinspot LED (Unbranded) with the following information in the manual:

Hopefully someone out there can tell me step by step what to do because I feel like I'm chasing my tail.

Many Thanks.

Parents
  • All I want is to be able to select a "device" and use "param 1" and "param 2" to set up the light then in "Int A" have slider "1" bring up or down light 1 "2" up or down light 2 etc...

Devices dont use the Int A or Int B faders -  These are designed for conventional dimmer channels (eg. Int A fader 1 = Dimmer ch 1, Fader 2 = Dimmer 2, etc.  If you want to control patched devices intensity only then use the INT DEV button so faders 1-24 control devices 1-24.

If you have made a personality and correctly patched it to the correct DMX channels using the PATCH > PATCH DEVICES > PATCH WIZARD > then select USER DEFINED on the right encoder to select the personality number you have made with the "footprint" showing the fixture channels used, then press YES, Assign it to a device number (1-24), Assign its starting address, and number of fixtures (if this is your two 11 channel Betopper TLS10K fixtures then select device 1, DMX address 1, number of fixtures COUNT = 2 - then YES, patch YES

If you have sucessfully patched your two Betopper TLS10K devices then hit the "Dev Sel" Button, then press Device buttons 1 and 2 and then hit the Param 1 Button - you should now be able to control those two devices. Fader 1 =  Intensity, 2 =Pan, 3 = Tilt, etc for Gobo, Colour etc.

When building a User Personality -  the HOME value is the default values that will be called for each parameter when the SFML HOME button is pressed multiple times 2 or 3? times I think?  You dont need to set values but some fixtures have for example a Strobe or Shutter channel that must be up before the dimmer will do anything.  In that case set the strobe/shutter HOME value to suit the fixture- eg 255.  Another example is to set the HOME value for PAN and TILT of the fixture to half way points so the fixture aims straight down, plus add a HOME value for the Dimmer channel to FULL (255).  That way - hitting the Home key (x 2 or 3?) for a selected fixture will reset the PAN/TILT to straight down with the lamp on and at full intensity.

Finally - If you modify a user personality in any way then you will need to re-patch the fixture/s again for any changes to take effect.

Hope that helps.

• I had literally just worked it out and got it all working when you replied. It's good that everything you say makes sense to me now and verifys to me that I've done everything right. 

Thanks a lot for your post. Hopefully it'll help anyone else struggling. 

Reply Children
No Data
Related