Hi users - are you using DMX Backup mode on your SmartFade?

Hi there -

We're curious to know if this mode is being used in the field. If so, could you just drop a note here letting us know?

Thanks much -

Sarah

• hi sarah

i'm not a smartfade user myself so i'm not sure about this mode. is it when i daisy chain the smartfade after another desk so it can take over when the primary fails? if so, i've seen the smartfade used in this mode in two or three theatres around here, on tour and i've seen it spec'd for one-offs too, when there wasn't enough budget for a "real" backup. usually there would be the houselights on it as well as some basic looks on stage. hope that's the info you were looking for.

• Yes, that's the mode we mean.

Thanks very much for the info!

• we're using a Smartfade ML here, the students often add a laptop to it to see what's going on, although I prefer to look up at the stage myself. We don't run it as a backup as-such.

• I've been using a SF for a few years as a back up however I connect it between the main console and first dmx run; dmx out of main console into SF then out of SF to conventionals.  Of course since it's not a ML console I only use it for conventionals.  I program in some basics and have it handy in case ........ well you know.  I didn't know it can be set up as a back up as well.

Actually up until the use of the ION I used it strictly for conventionals and effects and used my other console for movers; running two consoles at the same time but now it's just there as a conventional back up.

Related