Teensy 3.6 causes Eos to hang on Mac

Hello

I have mac OS 10.13, with eos 2.7.3 (currently no dongle or gadget attached, just using in offline mode), when I plug a teensy 3.6 with vanilla lighthack loaded I'm getting one of two things - either eos won't connect to the device (it shows as trying with an error code), or (of often after a while) I get a connection, followed by the subscription methods appearing in tab 99, but then eos hangs (spinning wheel)

If I boot into windows on the same machine the teensy connects without a problem

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Richard

• I will take a look tomorrow when I have a teensy available.  I haven't tried any teensy based devices recently but will see if I can reproduce the issue.

Nomad on mac has been problematic with connecting usb osc devices.  It takes time but usually will connect eventually.

• Turns out I think it was my eos installation - I tried it with an uno and got same result, but then totally removed eos from my system (including the application support folder) then installed to 2.7.4 and now it seems to be working!

--edit--

Spoke too soon, a second time connecting and eos hung for a minute or so before coming up with "com port[1] Write failed with result 8 error 0x5" - then after a few seconds it connected fine. I feel there is some kind of timeout waiting too long.. Some logs at www.dropbox.com/.../ETC_Logs_Mac_Offline_10152018_223804.zip

Thanks

• There is definitely a long lag when connecting and reconnecting osc usb devices to the mac software.  I did see a spinning wheel of doom for a few seconds on mine as well but it eventually did connect and work.  I would suggest connecting before starting the software as this seems to work best.  Hopefully ETC will continue working to make the connection process smoother.

• Thanks for the report, Richard and Andrew. We are going to look at this in the lab and see what we can find. At the moment, we still only officially support the Arduino Uno. I read the report above as saying "any arduino has lags on Mac", so we'll see if it's reproducible on the Uno as well. 

• Yes any arduino lags when connecting over usb to a mac.  It is something about claiming exclusive rights to the serial port I believe.  

• We aren't seeing the same here with the Uno and the default lighthack config. Is there anything else about the setup that's different? (Any background software that might also be trying to talk to it?) Do either of you have the box 1 setup and see the lags there?

• I will flash a default light hack and see what it does.  My uno based devices are still having lag issues connecting and sometime loosing connection and not getting a handshake to reconnect.  I know that if I have arduino agent and/or arduino running it causes problems but even with both of those off/disabled I'm seeing lag and serial errors in the diagnostics screen.  More once I get a generic lighthack board online.

• Loaded the generic test sketch to an authentic arduino uno.  Delayed initialization and serial errors when connecting to Nomad.  I exited from arduino before starting Nomad.  It may just be that having arduino installed or started during the same OS session is an issue... not sure.  

Are you seeing any serial errors in the lab on mac os?  I have always had these errors even when on previous mac os versions etc.  

• I tested different boards (Teensy 3.6, Arduino Uno, Arduino Micro) on macOS 10.14.1 Mojave beta (MacBookPro 2018) with 2.8.0b53.
    I have no problems with all the boards. There are some general problems with USB drivers on Mojave release,
    maybe the next release will solve the problems. I tested my boards with Mojave 10.14beta and different Mac's without problems.
    Maybe you should update your Arduino IDE to the last release (1.8.7), also Teensy to 1.44. I use PlatformIO for all platforms.

• Mac Os 10.13.6

Updated my Arduino install.  reloaded uno with default test sketch.  Still delay on connect with multiple com port errors, read failure errors.  Eventually connects and works but still an issue.