D1 Driver working with ArcMesh or not?

We purchased about 45 D1 Drivers and the recessed Arc1 fixtures.  The plan was to use WIFI Arc Mesh to control them and wired DMX for the other fixtures.  However there is not an antennae on the D1.  Are there two types of D1?  Wired and Wifi?  How can you tell the difference? 

Thanks

• Hi Paul,

There are two different drivers. 
    We currently off the a wired only RDM/DMX version of the drivers.

There was also the wireless ArcMesh driver(which could also be hardwired).  This model also required a TX-1 Transmitter (to send ArcMesh).  There were two versions of antennas on those a small black cap version early on, and then a more standard screw on antenna.

Very recently due to parts not being available the ArcMesh Wireless version was discontinued.

Looking at the Model Number is the best way to figure it out.  I would likely guess it's the RDM/DMX version. 
    You could also reach out to the ETC dealer who supplied it to find out more info as well.

etcconnect.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737481241

• Chris,

Awesome text book answer.   Thanks,

Do I have to go back to the guy who sold me the system and ask?   One question for them, help me phrase it, is if they spec'd the wired D1 why did they also spec an Arc Mesh transmitter?  

Should I also reach out to the ETC Rep who's name is on the drawings?

Now I have to add running DMX cables around the room to the contracors work load / contract?  That wasn't part of their contract because our sales rep convinced me to go arc mesh.  uuuuurgh. Maybe I'll have my staff do that part.  Does the dmx line from light to light have to be inside conduit? 

Thanks for the answer, but it means more work for Paul.

Thanks,
    Paul

•  - The ETC NYC Office should be reaching out if they haven't already.

• Chris,   

omg we found another problem.   You available to help me?   

Turns out some of the D1 drivers are listed to be on the emergency transfer system.   Will it be okay if they are the model number ARCP and not ARCPE ?   the E stands for emergency, right?   What is the difference with the E?  I thought the Emergency device simply sent a DMX signal over to the D1 along with the power to the circuit getting on the transfer switch.   What's the difference?   

Thanks for your help,  
    Paul

• Paul,

Based on your need for Emergency Lighting you should be discussing this with an ETC dealer and an Electrical Engineer.  You can also reach out to the NYC ETC office and Pete Wiegand. 

To learn more I would suggest checking out the ETC Emergency Lighting Guide
    https://www.etcconnect.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737501667

In regards to your -E version questions.

There are 2 ways to do Emergency with Arcsytem for the -E model.
    This driver is UL924 listed.

1.  Our preferred way of doing emergency with ArcSysytem is using the -E version (UL924 rated) require 2 circuits into it, a Normal and Normal/Emergency circuit.  The Normal Circuit is actually used as a sense feed to determine when power is lost, and the 2nd circuit is what actually is powering the fixture all the time.  It has an internal override to push the fixture to full regardless of the DMX or Wireless signal when the normal/sense feed goes away.

2.  The more traditional way is to use a DEBC (DMX Emergency ByPass Controller) and EBDK (sense feed) which is how you would properly make sure the DMX signal is pushed to full on a UL 924 driver.

The standard driver (Non -E) does not carry a UL924 listing.

Those examples are drawn out below.

• Chris,

This is exaxtly the answer I was hoping for.  We are planning version 2 of your scenerio.  

Thanks again for quick responce.  

Thanks,
    Paul

• Paul,

Just to be clear, you still need a UL924 emergency version even in version 2. Call Pete to discuss. 

• Chris,

Can't seem to get anyone on the phone today, even you....... Hope LDI was grand!

The question is really, why does this circuit in particular have to be UL 924 when there are other circuits in the room that are UL924?  Does every Emergency Circuit have to comply with UL924? 

What about the Arc 4 cell fixtures?  why cant we just put those on the Debc and obey the 924?

Tell me about the 700w driver for the arc lamps?  They are on the Debc too, won't that cover the 924?

We plan the rig shown on page 15 of the link you sent. 

Thanks,

Paul

• Hi Paul, This is a complicated answer so here is my best run at it.

The question is really, why does this circuit in particular have to be UL 924 when there are other circuits in the room that are UL924?  Does every Emergency Circuit have to comply with UL924? 

Every circuit used for Emergency lighting will have to comply with UL924.

What about the Arc 4 cell fixtures?  why cant we just put those on the Debc and obey the 924?

I am also a little unclear on this and it is possible this comes down to the AHJ, Authority having jurisdiction, in the end. I recommend the use of Emergency (UL924 rated) ArcSystem Pro fixtures to remove interpretation and configuration of setup from whether the system will be approved or not.

Tell me about the 700w driver for the arc lamps?  They are on the Debc too, won't that cover the 924?

The same rules that apply to the Four Cell fixtures apply here. The DEBC will do the work, but you may run into complications with the AHJ on whether the driver needs to be UL924 or not.

I hope this helps, it is a complicated topic and the NEC changes every three years.

• Matt

This helps a lot, thank you.  It’s nice to hear from you again.

In the last few days I have had several conversations with Jason Perry from the New York Office.  He has been fantastic in answering questions and picking up the phone.  He is in process of arranging swap out of the drivers for emergency service drivers.  

I will find out who the AHJ is on this project. 

Are you saying that the 4 cell fixtures have a version that is Emergency too?

What about the emergency lighting that is already in the room but not on the upgrade list?  We have several incandescent fixtures in strategic locations ( set by an AHJ of the past ) linked to the ELTS.  I was under the impression that we were leaving those circuits as is.  How does that affect the UL 924 ? 

You are correct.  This is a complicated topic. 

Thanks,

Paul

Related