X-Spot error codes

First of all I love the display on the X-Spot. Lots of useful information.

The unit I am working on now has several errors.

It has one edge not found error, four tab not found errors, and one closed not found error.

What is the difference between an edge, a tab, and a closed not found error?

I could not find it in the manual.

Also, does this seem indicative of problems with the wheels/sensors or more of a logic board issue?

Thanks

Mike
  • You can start by turning the motor by hand with power off, and see if it seems stiff,
    Often the motors sieze when they fail.
    Otherwise,
    You can try swapping the offending sensor with another one inside the fixture.
    Or you can try swapping the 2 phase card.
    It could be any of those things,
    as a last resort, there is a small chance it is the actual wiring harness, but this is somewhat unlikely.

Joshua Wood
  • Okay, the sled does not move.

So it appears we have a bad focus motor.

But then I just restarted it and no more FCS error. Hmmmm...

I switched the sensors on the effects wheel and the litho wheel that is with it (litho 2 wheel right?) and I still get both tab problems. So that seems like motor problems, right?

Mike
  • I should quit posting until I finish my diagnostic tests.

Okay, so I switched sensors and the problem did not follow.

I switched the two phase board (the middle of the three and the bottom of the three) and the problem did not follow.

So it must be motor right?

Then, the FCS2 error appears to be intermittent, but I am not sure if that is diagnostic or not.

Mike
  • I can't come up with a good reason as to why unplugging either of these cards would affect the focus error.

I had a card on a module once that was at god knows what address, and which was apparently replying on top of some other cards, and gave all kinds of fun like this . . . .

I am still curious, and I don't recall seeing my question answered, if the fixture comes up displaying "XSpot Standard" or something else, which would be indicative of it's not correctly recognizing one of it's modules.

- Tim
  • Yeah *points up* it eventually gets to X-Spot Standard, then the version number, then the address, then repeats the errors.

Mike
  • [quote=Esoteric]Yeah *points up* it eventually gets to X-Spot Standard, then the version number, then the address, then repeats the errors.

Mike

Thanks. Didn't see that before, but it's clear as a bell now . . . oh well . . .

On the wheel that sticks, any idea what it is hanging up on? Does it still stick if you remove the module from the fixture? Depending on what is binding, it is possible that both the wheel rotation as well as gobo rotation might be sticking, and that might give both errors. What I have found is that if the wheels are put on the shaft without a wee bit of slop, the wheel rotate and gobo rotate functions can fight each other, in my case resulting in losing home, but possibly also causing a failure to find home outright. Check the module out of the fixture, and if the wheel still binds, try moving it out on the shaft just a wee bit and see if it frees up. I am curious as well as to what voltage you are seeing on the bus running to the two and three phase cards. Since the logic runs on a pretty low voltage, I think that could sag pretty far (thus giving the motors fits) before the logic noticed . . .

- Tim

- Tim
  • Right, that is possible,
    Although the only time I have seen that happen is when my interlock switch came free, and was shorting against the frame intermittently.
    That was the hardest thing to find.
    every motor in the fixture had almost no strength.
    I agree, I would see if the motors feel bad, or pull the module and see if you can find what the module is sticking on.
    Off the top of my head, I believe the motor power supply on Xspot runs at 40 volts AC, in case you want to meter it.
    Let us know what you find out.
    Joshua Wood
Related