Object Effect idea - 3-D Object tiling

Thought of a new effect that could be useful - 3-D Object tiling.

Should work just like the regular surface tiling on a single object, but would apply to the 3-D object instead.

Effect Mode: 3-D Object Tile
Mod1: create copies of object along the X-axis
- (DMX 001 would be 1 copy, DMX 002 would be 2 copies, etc, etc)
Mod2: create copies of object along the Y-axis
Mod3: create copies of object along the Z-axis

Two other effects that could work in tandem with this one are:

Effect Mode: Object Tile Spacing
Mod1: Adjust the distance between "object tiles" on the X-axis
- (DMX 000 would butt them up together 255 would be the farthest spacing apart)
Mod2: Adjust the distance between "object tiles" on the Y-axis
Mod3: Adjust the distance between "object tiles" on the Z-axis

Effect Mode: Object Tile angle/pitch shif
(used to create diagonal shifts or offsets between tile "layers" or "forced perspective" type looks by creating a gravitational center whose origin could be shifted to sort of re-align to object tiles)

Mod1: Ajdusts "gravitational center" of tiles along the X-axis
Mod2: Ajdusts "gravitational center" of tiles along the Y-axis
Mod3: Ajdusts "gravitational center" of tiles along the Z-axis
  • Cool Thanks Matt!

[quote=schiefels;35578].....what we would need to look at is an upper limit of the number of "tiles" that could be created. Any suggestions on what a reasonable upper limit would be are welcome

Probably 1000 (10x10x10) or 1728 (12x12x12) would be good enough for most scenarios I can think of.

Scott,

Sorry to hear about your legs....hope you are healing quickly!
  • i find straight lines to be generally uninspired, and i think that if there's going to be an instance buffer that it needs to be able to be filled from content.

i haven't put enough thought into this, but for example, a (non-pow2) 1×1000 ARGB texture could control up to 1000 instances, where A would signal whether or not to draw, and RGB would specify the XYZ translation matrix to be multiplied against the original geometry's world.

this would provide a very easy means to control the maximum number of instances, and at the same time allow for visuals much more interesting than grids, which absolutely could be included as stock content.

the next steps, of course, would be rendering the instance buffer from video, and determining which other non-positioning parameters would be interesting to pass through the instance buffer.
  • Hey Quinn,

I agree that static, straight grids would be a bit bland....that's why I want the other two FX as well.

Don't forget that the best part of the DL/AXON servers is that they render everything in real time....so think of what this does for cueing possibilities and making on-the-fly changes. It allows programmers and designers to interact with content in a much more dynamic fashion....not just simply playing back files. You'll notice that a lot of the stock objects are grids of shapes already, but being able to expand and collapse those grids, change spacing, and warp the geometry in the cueing would be much more powerful and visually exciting. To try and do this with a pre-fab content file would be much more cumbersome and probably require some sort of LTC input to get the timing lined up correctly.

If you've got loads of time in production rehearsals to render and re-render files and sync to timecode....then great....do it in the content files to begin with, but in many cases there is no time available for this....especially for one-off events.
  • i certainly agree that staticly-positioned instances would be about as exciting as a straight line, and that direct, variable control over such an array is absoultely crucial.

to address specifically your points about spacing and warping, i think that these elementary factors could supply the same benifits to my "hemisphere" or "ring" or "hollowed box" as they would to your "cube".

and as for not having the time to get fancy, man, that's exactly why i'd love to see a set of stock "shapes" or "forms" for these instances to take. dial up a "long, double-spiraled tunnell", space it out, and it's done. use the effects engine to start the original object orbiting and rotating, the rest follow, and that's when it gets interesting.

later on, i'd love, for example, to be able to apply wobbulation.