Source 4 VS. Source 4JR

Good Afternoon.

I am looking to purchase new lighting equipment for the theater I work in.  We're in a 50' x 50' black box theater with a 20' grid.  (5x5 spacing)

I, like most folks, am a big fan of the Source Four.  However, in dealing with college budgets, I can get more units if I use S4 Jr's.  Does anyone have any stories, good or bad, to help me justify purchasing one over the other?  Or perhaps I need to look at some combination of both units.

Please let me know.  I am looking for any advice that folks might have.  Thank you very much!

Chris

• From my personal experience, the Jr. can do a fantastic job in most places.  Honestly, I'm surprised I don't see more of them considering they do 90% of the job (in my opinion) at 75% the cost.

Get the "Senior" if you need:

• 750W lamp capability
    • More lens options, including EDLT
    • Easily interchanged lenses (i.e. barrels)
    • Rotating barrel
    • A-size gobos & accessories (the Jr. is M-size)
    • Upgradability to S4 LED :-)

Otherwise, the Jr. is great.  My church has an inventory of 25-50 Jr. Zooms... I love 'em.  I only wish that ETC offered a 19° Jr.

[edited by: mgarrison at 3:55 PM (GMT -6) on Tue, Oct 16 2012]
  • For a black box with a 20ft throw, Jrs should be fine and save you some money. You will be stuck with whatever assortment of 26,36 & 50s you get unless you get zooms, so plan your beam size needs carefully. Remember that the Jrs use M gobos only, so if you already have a large stock of A or B size, that may be a consideration for adding a few S4s. Heavy saturated gels along with gobos may mean you need greater punch from a S4 with a 750 lamp.

Keith

• As an LD, I'd always rather have more fixtures, unless I already had a stock of existing seniors.

Except in BoxBoom positions--I don't know how we lived without rotating barrels there; hope to never hear the term "best angle" from an electrician again.

I wouldn't mix if I were you.  Even with the same lamp, there's intensity and beam size differences between S4-26 and S4jr-26, and 36s / 50s.  Since it's a Black Box, don't forget lots of top hats and half-hats also.

Related