Whirlwind powercon obstruction

Hello Community!

I have a dozen Selador D40 vivids.  When I pan the unit with standard dmx (xlr) and powercon (whirlwind) connected, the cables get smashed between the fixture and the yolk.  Has anybody had this issue?  How have you dealt with it?  I am ordering another dozen and am wondering if ordering the XT unit with the tails would solve this.  I see that they take a molex connector instead of powercon for reasons of waterproofing.

Any other suggestions/solutions?

Thanks,

-JC

Parents
  • JC, there was a change to NEC code that allowed us to start using a more flexible power cable that will clear the yoke, so new cables will solve that problem. On the DMX side, ETC doesn't manufacture DMX cables but there are cables that will clear. Feel free to call Tech Service if you have any questions or would like additional info!
  • I just bought new units and cables this month and they STILL have the problem. If we need to move the focus that moves the cables thru the yoke we either have to crush the cables or unplug and re-plung them. THE SOLUTION IS TO LENGTHEN THE YOKE -
  • Hello James,
    I am sorry you are having issues with your fixtures. When the Desire fixtures were designed, there was a value put on having them have a shorter hanging position. It was thought that it would be more convenient to users if they did not hang as low. It could be argued that the design was too much in that direction. As stated above, we made a change to the cables that ship with the fixtures a while back that allowed them to bend more easily and that seems to have solved the problem for most. In response to this post, we just took another look at this issue and the consensus here seemed to be that, while you did have to put a decent bend on the cables, it was nothing that should be concerning. That being said, the cables used does make a big difference as there is not a lot of room for variety. Is it the power or the data cables that are giving you issues? What cables are you using?

Jim Uphoff
    Product Manager- ETC
  • Hello James,
    I am sorry you are having issues with your fixtures. When the Desire fixtures were designed, there was a value put on having them have a shorter hanging position. It was thought that it would be more convenient to users if they did not hang as low. It could be argued that the design was too much in that direction. As stated above, we made a change to the cables that ship with the fixtures a while back that allowed them to bend more easily and that seems to have solved the problem for most. In response to this post, we just took another look at this issue and the consensus here seemed to be that, while you did have to put a decent bend on the cables, it was nothing that should be concerning. That being said, the cables used does make a big difference as there is not a lot of room for variety. Is it the power or the data cables that are giving you issues? What cables are you using?

Jim Uphoff
    Product Manager- ETC
Children
Related