D22 Tungsten Power-On Behavior

We have an art installation in the lobby of the venue where I work, which is currently being lit by traditional Source Four Juniors. I am looking into converting these fixtures to the D22 Tungsten. My question is whether these fixtures will automatically output intensity when powered on, or do you need to always select an intensity on the fixture controls after powering them on? I ask this because we turn off the lights every night, so I am needing to know if I will need to buy some kind of DMX control for these lights, or if they will restore their "last look" on their own after being turned off overnight. Manually bringing up intensity with the on-board controls is not an option, as the lights are hung about 35 feet in the air and are not accessible without a lift. Thanks!

Parents Reply Children
  • As a fun side fact, do you ever run them at Full?  Or have you noticed when you replace bulbs that the existing bulbs are a bit cloudy?  You may want to run the fixtures at Full for about an hour ever few weeks.  This restart the tungsten/halogen cycle and basically "burns" any deposits off the glass (what makes it cloudy) and puts them back on the filament.

www.ledvance.co.uk/.../index.jsp

• Hi Chris!

Thanks, as always, for this extra info! It is pretty rare when all of the instruments are working at the same time. With the way the building is designed, bringing a Genie lift to the lobby area is a process, so we only replace burn-outs about twice a year. And it seems that as soon as I have them all working again, within a month another one or two burns out (we are unable to change out working lamps due to budget issues). I have noticed what you said, that the burned out lamps have a gray cloudiness to them. When we were having events pre-COVID, the lamps would get a good 7-8 hours of use about four times a week, but obviously now their usage is sporadic, at best.

Also, when I last did maintenance on them back in August, I actually had to replace three of the lamp sockets in the firing caps, as they had corroded and were no longer making contact with the lamps. That alone is another reason why we want to upgrade to LED, so we will no longer have to worry about doing this kind of frequent maintenance, and saving money in the long run.

Related