Fire & Ice Fixtures Together

What are the chances that ETC will release a 21" fixture with a Fire fixture in one cell and an Ice fixture in the other?  Would there be any benefit to this configuration over just a 21" Vivid-R fixture?  I've noticed theaters use a warm-gelled PAR and a cool-gelled PAR in pairs for top lighting.  That was the motivation of my question.

Parents
  • This is a good question, and the ETC LED team has explored it a little bit.  Right now there are no plans to combine an Ice cell and a Fire cell within a single 21" fixture, and I can give you the two things we're thinking about: 

1) Color mixing becomes challenging between cells spaced side-by-side like that.  It makes it kind of tough to get completely uniform color on a flat surface like a cyc.  Putting a 1-cell (11") Fire above a 1-cell Ice in a double yoke works better as far as color mixing goes.

2) This would make the overall performance fairly similar to a 21" Vivid fixture.  If you look at the combined output of an Ice fixture and a Fire fixture, the color gamut covers the same range as Vivid.  The primary difference is that Vivid is more brightness-balanced for colors in-between Fire and Ice, like amber, gold, yellow, green, etc.  Of course, this may not be beneficial if your application requires only light in the red and blue ranges.

I don't intend to imply that our minds are permanently set against this.  If enough people ask for it, it is certainly within our ability to produce a fixture like this.  However, I think a better solution is a double yoke with 11" Fire and Ice in it--and that's available now.

• This is a good question, and the ETC LED team has explored it a little bit.  Right now there are no plans to combine an Ice cell and a Fire cell within a single 21" fixture, and I can give you the two things we're thinking about: 

1) Color mixing becomes challenging between cells spaced side-by-side like that.  It makes it kind of tough to get completely uniform color on a flat surface like a cyc.  Putting a 1-cell (11") Fire above a 1-cell Ice in a double yoke works better as far as color mixing goes.

2) This would make the overall performance fairly similar to a 21" Vivid fixture.  If you look at the combined output of an Ice fixture and a Fire fixture, the color gamut covers the same range as Vivid.  The primary difference is that Vivid is more brightness-balanced for colors in-between Fire and Ice, like amber, gold, yellow, green, etc.  Of course, this may not be beneficial if your application requires only light in the red and blue ranges.

I don't intend to imply that our minds are permanently set against this.  If enough people ask for it, it is certainly within our ability to produce a fixture like this.  However, I think a better solution is a double yoke with 11" Fire and Ice in it--and that's available now.

Children
Related