Fire & Ice Fixtures Together

What are the chances that ETC will release a 21" fixture with a Fire fixture in one cell and an Ice fixture in the other?  Would there be any benefit to this configuration over just a 21" Vivid-R fixture?  I've noticed theaters use a warm-gelled PAR and a cool-gelled PAR in pairs for top lighting.  That was the motivation of my question.

Parents
  • This is a good question, and the ETC LED team has explored it a little bit.  Right now there are no plans to combine an Ice cell and a Fire cell within a single 21" fixture, and I can give you the two things we're thinking about: 

1) Color mixing becomes challenging between cells spaced side-by-side like that.  It makes it kind of tough to get completely uniform color on a flat surface like a cyc.  Putting a 1-cell (11") Fire above a 1-cell Ice in a double yoke works better as far as color mixing goes.

2) This would make the overall performance fairly similar to a 21" Vivid fixture.  If you look at the combined output of an Ice fixture and a Fire fixture, the color gamut covers the same range as Vivid.  The primary difference is that Vivid is more brightness-balanced for colors in-between Fire and Ice, like amber, gold, yellow, green, etc.  Of course, this may not be beneficial if your application requires only light in the red and blue ranges.

I don't intend to imply that our minds are permanently set against this.  If enough people ask for it, it is certainly within our ability to produce a fixture like this.  However, I think a better solution is a double yoke with 11" Fire and Ice in it--and that's available now.

• I figured it wouldn't color mix as well.  I was thinking solely of a top/front/back light solution that gives the dimension of separate cool and warm tones with the added strength (especially with the cool tones) of the fire and ice fixtures.  I'm guessing either the spacing is probably too short to add that effect anyway.  I was just money and rigging space by have a single fixture.  Thanks for the feedback.

• I like the way you described the "dimension of separate warm and cool colors."  That is what the Fire and Ice concept is all about.  Consider the solution Rob mentions of a "double-yoke" that we offer. Here is a photo.

• You have given us some valuable input--please keep doing so.  I will mention this in our next meetings.  Thanks!

Reply Children
No Data
Related