SPL rating for fan on the Selador Fixtures.

Can anyone point me to the noise specs for the 11" fixtures? 

Would the fans prohibit them being used in a music recital hall?

Thanks

• I can't give you a number for SPL, but I've had six 11" fixtures in our 120-seat intimate, black box theatre, four of which are hanging less than 8' from audience members and another two that are just shy of being arm's reach from them and I've never so much as noticed the fans even on, and given the room has been anywhere between 80 and 95 degrees all of this week for performances, I'm sure they've been running almost non-stop.

[edited by: mnicolai at 11:10 PM (GMT -6) on Thu, May 20 2010] So that's how the Suggest an Answer feature works...
  • We have not yet had thorough acoustic testing performed on the fixtures.  Preliminary results indicate that when the fans run at full speed, the noise level is somewhere between 24 and 30 dB, but this is only a very rough measurement.  The fans operate at a reduced voltage, which lowers the frequency of the noise they produce.  Some call this "pink noise" as opposed to white noise, because it is not as bright of a sound, and in most circumstances it makes the noise less noticeable.  As soon as we have completed acoustic testing, we will publish the data.

In most colored-light applications, in ambient operating temperatures of approximately 85 degrees F or below, the fans may not come on at all.  Anecdotal evidence from multiple users supports this, but many factors influence fan performance, including overall fixture operating level (how many colors are on at the same time, at what brightness level, and for how long), air volume around the fixtures and available natural airflow, fixture orientation, room temperature, and proximity to other high-heat sources (i.e., tungsten fixtures).

For fan performance, with 11" test fixtures, in a room temperature of around 73 degrees F, with the fixtures facing down, here is what we have measured:

At a 100% control level (all colors on at 100%, master intensity channel at 100%):

Lustr / Vivid-R:  20 minutes of operation before fans start running

Paletta:  30 minutes before fans start running

At 80% control level (all colors on at 100%, master intensity channel at 80%):

Lustr / Vivid-R:  35 minutes

Paletta:  1 hour

60% control level (all colors at 100%, master intensity at 60%):

No fans started after 3 hours, with no indication of starting

Most saturated color mixes are the equivalent of overall control levels of 60% or less.

If the fixtures are being used for relatively saturated colored light, and if they are hung in a position that allows good airflow around them and something close to normal room-temperature air, I would generally have no problem using them in a recital hall.  I've worked in a lot of these kinds of spaces, and I've found that in most of them, HVAC and other ambient noise is still high enough to mask the low-speed fans, particularly if the fixtures are more than several feet away from the audience.  (What is usually unique about these spaces is not so much their complete absence of noise, but the constancy of the noise that is there.)  However, it would really be best to arrange an on-site demo in which the fixtures are run at the anticipated brightness levels to know for sure.

Related