Re: Letting the smoke out on Palettas

Hi all,

We have been using Palettas for almost 2 years now with no issues.

This time around, while coming out of maintenance (Palettas cleaned as per manual's instructions) we had some crazy strobing and then the blue LEDs stayed on  for three units (42") and a few random color LEDs were also on.

While we were troubleshooting to determine whether the issue was due to a console malfunction or an instrument malfuntion, we apparently let the smoke out of two 42" units (observed) and possibly another two (unobserved.)

At any rate, we have (4) 42" units that are unresponsive.

In the course of troubleshooting we discovered (2) with blown fuses.

An interesting side here - according to the manual the 42" units should have 8 Amp fuses; ours had 4 amp fuses. We have been using these particular units for over 6 months for cyc lighting, so this would not seem to be the reason why the fuses blew.

The power is currently delivered through a Strand C-21 rack with dimmers that have been profiled to be 'ON' when the Channel level is recorded at 0. The dimmers are patched to a channel at the far end of the Channel spectrum so it would not be accidentally recorded into a Cue at a level. Being that for these dimmers a 0 level is for all intents and purposes 'ON', if someone did a 'FADE ALL' it would already be at 0 and would be faded to 0, so no harm, no foul, as far as we are aware.

Any suggestions as to what might have occurred?

Thanks,

Jennifer

Parents
  • Much has been written about dimmers parked ON.  All of it is to advise not using devices that need clean power on parked dimmers.  Among all the other issues, could be having the rack control  electronics set to adjust and regulate to incoming line voltage, which could cause the dimmer to potentially reduce output voltage as it compensates.  Sensors can have this function turned off in the CEM, not sure about Strand.

In any event, once you get the fixtures repaired, I'd find another power source, or swap dimmers to relays or constant breaker modules (if you can get the gear from Strand).

•  

Thanks!

The Paletta manual indicates that they would run just fine on dimmers whose profile has been modified to be, for all intents and purposes, a non-dim (switched), which is why we had no concerns about powering them in this fashion.

(Now, maybe we were living in a fool's paradise.)

For our units that do care (VLs, etc) we have true non-dims that we move around the C21 racks, as necessary (yes, Strand has all that gear.)

We just added to our inventory of dual non-dim, dim/nondim, and nondim/dim drawers and so the Palettas will be powered by true nondims as of this season.

That will ease worries that the modified waveform could cause damage.

I don't believe the C21s behave like Sensors, but I don't have any experience with Sensors...

The output from our profiled dimmers ranges from 114v - 122v rms, which is within the stated range of 100 - 240VAC/50-60Hz.

Again, the way we've got it set up the dimmers are always full on and won't dim unless someone selects Channel 1003 and fades it to 100% in a count.  

My crew knows not to do that.

Typos can happen but in this case we weren't writing cues.

We had just hung and circuited (we have a rep plot, so no changes there) and turned on the console to begin focus.

We had no cues in the board.

We believe our system to be fairly idiot-proof until they invent a better idiot.

But obviously something happened...

FWIW - our VLs in one specific position also had a mind of their own. (They are plugged into true non-dims, and always have been.)

We're working on that one.

To me this has all the earmarks of a control issue, but we have another (12) 42" and (13) 11" Palettas which are unaffected and are controlled by dimmers profiled the same way and in the same channel as the ones with issues.

Thanks for the feedback and please let me know if any of the above info gives you additional ideas.

I appreciate getting insight from others in the industry.

•  

Thanks!

The Paletta manual indicates that they would run just fine on dimmers whose profile has been modified to be, for all intents and purposes, a non-dim (switched), which is why we had no concerns about powering them in this fashion.

(Now, maybe we were living in a fool's paradise.)

For our units that do care (VLs, etc) we have true non-dims that we move around the C21 racks, as necessary (yes, Strand has all that gear.)

We just added to our inventory of dual non-dim, dim/nondim, and nondim/dim drawers and so the Palettas will be powered by true nondims as of this season.

That will ease worries that the modified waveform could cause damage.

I don't believe the C21s behave like Sensors, but I don't have any experience with Sensors...

The output from our profiled dimmers ranges from 114v - 122v rms, which is within the stated range of 100 - 240VAC/50-60Hz.

Again, the way we've got it set up the dimmers are always full on and won't dim unless someone selects Channel 1003 and fades it to 100% in a count.  

My crew knows not to do that.

Typos can happen but in this case we weren't writing cues.

We had just hung and circuited (we have a rep plot, so no changes there) and turned on the console to begin focus.

We had no cues in the board.

We believe our system to be fairly idiot-proof until they invent a better idiot.

But obviously something happened...

FWIW - our VLs in one specific position also had a mind of their own. (They are plugged into true non-dims, and always have been.)

We're working on that one.

To me this has all the earmarks of a control issue, but we have another (12) 42" and (13) 11" Palettas which are unaffected and are controlled by dimmers profiled the same way and in the same channel as the ones with issues.

Thanks for the feedback and please let me know if any of the above info gives you additional ideas.

I appreciate getting insight from others in the industry.

Children
No Data
Related