Screen Resolutions for Cat 4.0

Very simple questions...
[LIST=1]
What video Card is used for HD on V4?
Is v4 a true 1080p HD?
How can I get my v4 to run 1080p HD?
Isn't the highest rez on the HES specified video card 1600 x 1024 (1600 x 900 for wide aspect)?
  • What video Card is used for HD on V4?
    We are using a new MacPro with a X1900,

Is v4 a true 1080p HD?
    yes, we can play 2048 X 2048, what make 1920 X 1080 without a problem, the thing is the Hardware set up, specialy the Hard Drives, we use a RAID 0 system here in Brasil to play HD content, and even with that, to play various videos simultaniously, we need to put a hard compression on them.

We use here a MacPro ATI X1900 RAID0 3HDs for content 1 HD for system.

Isn't the highest rez on the HES specified video card 1600 x 1024 (1600 x 900 for wide aspect)?[
    The problem on the OUT rez is where you will be playing that, since is kind of rare a real HD1080p projectors or so...

Hope that help
    Gian
  • mac pros are good for doing this as its much easier to fit a raid thing inside a computer.
    raids are more important for hd as there is more image data in each frame - but fewer layers can be played back.
    sometimes people want to try uncompressed things.

the internal limit in catalyst is 2048x2048 for layer image size -but some new graphics cards can go bigger.

there are many monitors that will go up to at least 1920x1200 -this even works on my intel mac mini at that resolution.

the matrox triple head to go boxes will work with a desktop size that is 3072x1024 and sometimes even bigger.
  • [QUOTE=SourceChild]Very simple questions...
    [LIST=1]
    What video Card is used for HD on V4?
    Is v4 a true 1080p HD?
    Isn't the highest rez on the HES specified video card 1600 x 1024 (1600 x 900 for wide aspect)?

is there a 'HES specified video card'?
  • No, there is no HES specified card. Over the years, the cards have changed between ATI and NVIDIA. What comes in the Mac tends to work well.

Leah
  • [quote=developer]
    Mac pros are good for doing this as its much easier to fit a raid thing inside a computer.

With all "Raid" talk aside, are there discernable advantages to using the MacPro boxes with Catalyst? I ask because I am considering turning the G5 boxes into Max and AfterEffects render nodes but not sure how cost effective. Obviously if I'm using single thread codecs I can't take use of the three dormant processors but if we pretend Seek Time is not an issue, are you seeing any significant jump that would justify Xeon vs. PPC?

[quote=developer]
    raids are more important for hd as there is more image data in each frame - but fewer layers can be played back.
    sometimes people want to try uncompressed things.

You mentioned in another post using xServeRAIDs...
    How many Cats do you run off of a single xServeRAID before you defeat the gain of the raid?
    I was considering an xSR with dual fibrechannel so that each card could possibly run three Cats. Any notes on this?

[quote=developer]
    the internal limit in catalyst is 2048x2048 for layer image size -but some new graphics cards can go bigger.

there are many monitors that will go up to at least 1920x1200 -this even works on my intel mac mini at that resolution.

My scenario would be to use two Catalysts on an A/B HD switcher (crossfader) that would send a single output to a scaler which could split a video signal into a lf, ctr, and rt to run on three edge blended projectors. What else besides the triplehead2go can do that? Better yet, what is a cheap way to take a 1920 x 1200 display output and convert it into 3 (vertically truncated) 1024 x 768 outputs?

[quote=developer]
    the matrox triple head to go boxes will work with a desktop size that is 3072x1024 and sometimes even bigger.

I am ready to buy one of these to try but I want to know what I might be getting into. What are your results with it?
    Yes, I know I can install the driver for it which will allow the MAC to send it 3072 x 768 but there is no way for me to set the Catalyst window to that ratio right? Or have you modified the Cat code to allow for custom aspect ratios?
    Also, since many of the things I do are on TV, what kind of scan problems will the three2go create for my camera crews to complain about? What kind of problems will my edge blender see as far as sync-lock and sync-phasing?
  • [quote=developer]

The first card I think of is the QuatroFX4500 which is available as an upgrade for G5 and MacPro computers.

Obviously this card is fine for me but has it been proven in HES testing to be reliable (not that it wouldn't be)?
  • [quote=Gian]
    The problem on the OUT rez is where you will be playing that, since is kind of rare a real HD1080p projectors or so...

[CENTER]:banana: ~ :arms: ~ :banana:[/CENTER]

[CENTER]I'm sure when I get my NASA clearance :headbang: I'll find one and we can sell tickets to watch the superbowl together![/CENTER]

[CENTER]:beerchug:[/CENTER]

[CENTER]We'll call it "CATALYST AT THE MOVIES"
    but I promise to licence rights to call it Catalyst ;) [/CENTER]
  • [QUOTE=SourceChild]The first card I think of is the QuatroFX4500 which is available as an upgrade for G5 and MacPro computers.

Obviously this card is fine for me but has it been proven in HES testing to be reliable (not that it wouldn't be)?

4500 worked not much better than 7800 and is now obsolete.
  • [QUOTE=Leah_Durrett]No, there is no HES specified card. Over the years, the cards have changed between ATI and NVIDIA. What comes in the Mac tends to work well.

Leah

and sometimes it doesnt.
    the 6600 wasnt great.

performance of 7300 vs x1900 in intel mac pros still to be determined.
  • [quote=developer]4500 worked not much better than 7800 and is now obsolete.
    Why are you saying that nVidia's flagship card is obsolete?
    Apple only just started using the FX 4500 from the FX4400 they were using for so long in their PPC G5s.

It's the difference between a $2500 card and a $200 card like the 7300 or a $400 card like the 7800.

How about a recommendation and a list of test results.

Richard, we all want to know what "works" for you and has worked for you in the past.
    Leah, we would also love it if you could post a current list of HES tested cards and the test results.