MSC over Ethernet?

Like the title says, is it possible/practicle to use MSC over Ethernet on an EOS network?

Is the protocol published, or is it necessary to disseminate the ACN messages with wireshark or similar?

Cheers,
Jim

Parents
  • MSC as in MIDI Show Control, I think - not a Mosaic Show Controller. The dangers of TLAs and ETLAs! 

Jim, I'll drop you an email but the short answer for posterity is - yes, it's easy-ish to send strings via UDP for Eos to understand and trigger events, in a very similar way to MIDI Show Control. The packet format is spelled out in the manual under the serial section, and the Ethernet/UDP information (new to 1.9.5) is in the supplement.

There is also an option to have Eos send a string to a given address/port whenever it would normally send an MSC packet, e.g. Go, Stop, and so on.

:)

• Yes sorry, it is Midi, not Mosaic - TLAs indeed...
    I think Luke has given me the answer I need - thanks everyone who replied.

Jim

• Luke is correct that the gateways are really media coverters, from MIDI cable to Ethernet.  On a PC or another programmable device with native Ethernet media, all that is needed is UDP, and soon it will be possible to use TCP to send command strings reliably.

• I know this discussion is out of date, but the original question was not answered . . .

We have been using Midi Show Control to operate a GrandMA in sync with an Obsession2 successfully for years - over a standard midi cable.

We hope to upgrade to an Eos soon, and yes i know it could take the place of both of those older consoles, but since we have a long running show, we would at least initially need to operate the same way, having a 'Go' button push on the Eos send a 'Cue 35 go' command to the GrandMA via Midi Show Control.

My reading of the Eos manuals gives me confidence that this will work with a hardwired midi cable.

But it also seems to say that Midi Show Control will work over an ethernet connection.

Am i engaging in wishful thinking?

• Midi show control over ethernet on the Eos works with the Net3 show control gateway.  From the gateway you would plug the midi cable into the GMA.

I don't think that the GMA and Eos use the same midi over ethernet protocols.  I have not tried it.  The Net3 Show control gateway shows up in the "about system" on my system as a Pathway connectivity Inc. Midi control module.  

• There is no Midi in or our ports on an Eos.  You need to purchase a show control gateway attach it to your lighting network.  This can be a simple as using the 4 port POE switch built into the Eos.  An Ethernet cable from the Eos or other switch on the network to the SCG and then Midi out the SCG to your Obession.  Flawless.....

• For reference - the Eos Ti (and Gio/Ion) console has built-in MIDI in/out, so you wouldn't need a Show Control Gateway unless it is a "classic" Eos console.

-Luke

Reply Children
Related