Beacon LEDs

Does anyone know what would cause a Sensor+ 48 rack's status beacon to burn out? Ours just won't light up anymore, and it's freaking my boss out.

• There are a number of conditions that could cause this.  Most likely it is a burned out beacon board.  There could also be issues with the beacon harness that runs from the backplane to the beacon board or (less likely) there could be an issue with the backplane or CEM+ itself.  

There is also a chance that the CEM+ may not be fully seated in the rack.  Removing it and giving it a good push in may prove to be enough.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks for your input, I ejected and reinserted the CEM+ to no effect. On closer inspection, after I turned the dimmer room lights off, I noticed that the beacon was lit, but really dim.

• I've seen that on Classic racks- those LEDs are often faded. The + racks I haven't seen that yet.

If it's out of warranty it's a pretty cheap little board to buy, and simple to replace.

• There are a couple of possibilities as they're still lit :

1. Is simply that the LEDs are dirty. The rack fan sucks air in, and if that air has dust in it, it can deposit on the beacon LEDs. I'd start by taking a close look down the hole where the LEDs are, if it looks dirty you could clean them with some compressed air or remove the board to clean it

2. Failure of the board. I have occasionally seen the board fail in this way; if you have more than one rack you could swap the board with the one next to it, if you feel happy doing so, to prove it is the beacon PCB. If your rack is out of warranty, you can order one from your dealer - ETC part number is 7050B5109. If in warranty, give us a call and we would be happy to send you one.

Naturally with both of these options you will want to turn the power off to the rack, and don't do anything you don't feel qualified to do.

Hope that helps,

Tom

• I've serviced numerous job sites where the LED appears to be inoperable, but upon further inspection, the LED's are just heavily coated with dirt/dust.  If you open the door and look at the three LED's you may find the same issue.  If you're comfortable doing so, clean them off and you may see an improvement in their intensity...

-Abby

• Thanks so much for your help everyone, I grabbed a little step ladder and took a look at the leds; they're squeaky clean, so I'll let my boss know about his options if he wants to take action.

Related