Connecting ArtNet to Congo

OK, I give up.  I've been trying to connect my computer to Congo via ArtNet to run an couple of things I've downloaded of the net that are ArtNet compatible, but I can't get the board and the PC to talk to each other.  Could someone give me a step by step on how to network together the two.  I can't find any real clear instructions on how to do this!

J. R. Lidgett
Salina Community Theatre

• Hi,

It's not much more to it then turning on Art-Net in System settings.

Bullen

• There is also a setting where you can select if ArtNet is sending on the 255.255.255.255, 2.255.255.255 or 10.255.255.255 broadcast address. Some receiving equipment might be sensitive to which broadcast address that is used. Try the three different settings and see if it works better.

• First step is to check that the Congo and the PC are both on the network, so check for network activity lights - on Congo at least one network LED should be flickering, and this is usually true on PC network cards as well.

ArtNet is a broadcast protocol, which will never go through a router and is blocked by some 'Smart' switches, so make sure you've only got 'dumb' switches or hubs between the Congo and your PC.

• So the information about switches, etc. that others have given you is all good information.

Let me give you a step-by-step from the last time I set it up.

1. Make sure your console IP address is in the 10.101.x.x subnet.
    2. Make sure the receiving device is also in the 10.101.x.x subnet (actually you can get away with 10.x.x.x).
    3. Enable artnet.
    4. Set your artnet broadcast address to 10.255.255.255 .
    5. Reboot your console.
    6. In patching your devices, keep in mind that every output protocol on the console starts with the first universe of its particular protocol as universe 1.  Unfortunately, ArtNet actually refers to its first universe as universe 0 internally.  Therefore congo 25.1 is Artnet Universe 0, Address 25.  Just a little trick to be aware of.

• Tracy,
    The universe issue was the problem.  I had everything else set up right, but couldn't get the it to do anything since I was apparantly patched incorrectly.  Thanks for your help, this has been driving me crazy for some time!

J. R. Lidgett
    Salina Community Theatre

• Dear Richard,

I want to connect a Congo Full size and A Light Server as Server Backup and I want both to be connected to Pathways and to output artnet (Pathway). How is that possible? Can I have a step by step guide???

Related