MIDI time code

I have a query regarding Midi Time Code. Can I do the following:

Preset 1 starts a time code at 00.00.00.00.
Preset 2 runs automatically when the time code has reached 00.00.10.00
Preset 3 runs automatically when the time code has reached 00.00.20.00 and so forth.

Alternatively how to I set the console to recieve a 00.00.00.00 timecode from an external source and set the presets to run at a given time thereafter. The console is triggered at the moment via MIDI show control from Qlab.

Many thanks for your help,
Orri

• I'm not sure how to do exactly what you are asking for. The technique I use is to create a Group cue in QLab with fire_all set then have 3 cues in QLab with start times set to fire specific cues on the Ion. That way all the start timing is handled in one place.

• I have several presets that have to run in sinc with a song played on QLab.  I would like the start of the song and the firing of first preset (happening at the same time) to activate a time code.  I then could either use the learn function within the time code option or having timed the q points from the song .  I have been trying this using learned timings and turning them into a wait time within the consolse itself but run into problems when I delete presets (it then messes up the rest of the sequence).

If I could manage to use the time code then each preset would be activated by a specific time in the song, not pending when the last preset was activated.

Hope this makes some sense.

Thanks,
    Orri

• Problem:

• You need to recall a preset when the incoming MIDI Time Code source matches a specific value.

Proposed Solution:

1.       Turn on the "Time Code" parameter in "Play Settings - Show Control".

2.       Turn on "Auto - loacte step" parameter in "Play Settings - Show Control".

3.       If needed: Record the Preset. By default, a Sequence Step is automatically added to the Sequence in the Main Playback for this Preset.

4.       Locate the Sequence Step in the Sequence and modify the value in the "Time Code" column.

All this information is based solely on reading the Congo v6.0 User Manual and has not been tested.

-Marcus

• Thanks.  I have figured how to enter a specific time for within the time code column in the sequence list.  What is missing is getting the first preset to start the timecode.

Regards,
    Orri

• I do not believe there is a way to have the internal clock started by running a sequence step or a preset. You could try starting the internal clock by triggering an Action Macro from an incoming MIDI data signal sent from QLab.

-Marcus

• It could have to do with that you start with 00:00:00:00

Usually what you do is to start with 01:00:00:00 and have something like 3 seconds pre-roll, to give all the equipment  a chance to sync with the timecode.

Hope the helps

Bullen

• Sorry, Orri - was a long weekend in the UK so I didn't see your original post until today.

To have a Sequence Step start the internal Timecode clock do the following:

1. [Setup] > Show Control tab.
    2. Set the Timecode source to "Internal". Set the Internal Clock Start setting to the number you want to start the clock at (00.00.00.00)
    3. Open the Timecode dock - [Setup] & [Browser].
    4. Start learning a Macro
    5. Click on the "Reset" then "Start/Stop" buttons in the Timecode Dock.
    6. Stop learning.
    7. Add this Macro to the Sequence Step that should start the internal clock. (Macro column)

You'll also want a Macro that stops the timecode to run at the end of the sequence, as otherwise the clock will keep going at the end.

Note - the Internal Timecode clock must not be running when you start running the sequence, as the Start/Stop button is a toggle.

timecodedemo.asc
  • Thanks.  I figured as much out.  On the offline version is it not possible to record macros?  I can´t find the learn macro lable anywhere to press to end the macro recording.

Also, on another note, the bounce play mode on content effect does not seem to work.  I have tried several ways both with channel sets and groups but never get a "chase" of say ten parcans that are on a break to run back and forth.

Regards,
    Orri

• Hmm - yes, offline v6.0.4 the "Recording Macro" label doesn't appear. Will check if it's sorted out in v6.1.0 or not.
    - [EDIT] Yes, it's been corrected in the latest beta of v6.1.0.

The "PlayMode*" attribute in Content Effects refers to the order of the steps of the Series, not the channels being used.
    For example, if you've got 4 steps R,G,B,A in the Series Play Mode: Bounce will play back R,G,B,A,B,G,R,G,B,A etc.

The "PartDirection*" attribute affects the ordering of the channels themselves for playback.

However at present that only has Forward and Reverse options, so to 'bounce' a Content Effect across a range of Channels you'll need to build a Channel Set that uses the same channels twice.

I agree that isn't exactly perfect, so we should probably take another look at whether it could be possible to have more options for the PartDirection attribute in the future.

[edited by: Richard at 5:05 AM (GMT -6) on Tue, May 3 2011]
Related