Hello, I am new to lighting. And when I say new I mean I have never touched a light board before. Please explain to me how to make light go from green to red and all the other basics for ETCnomad.

I am very new to lighting and my school is about to order an etc educational pack that includes etc nomad and the gadget II and whatnot. What do I do? I watched a video and I am mega confused. They started talking on light talk and I don't know what they were saying. What is a show document/file? Do I need to download eos, cobalt, or hog 4 PC for it to run, or are they optional? Please help. 

• I would recommend that you go to the dealer that your are purchasing this from (hopefully they are a theatrical dealer, I would assume they are) and have them include a couple of hours of one on one training. If you have absolutely zero experience with lighting then you are going to need some instruction on the basic concepts of stage lighting to get you to a place where you understand what you are doing with the console. At least that is my opinion.

• ETC is selling the pack and well I tried watching their videos and I understood nothing.

• ETC sells it, but they don't sell direct to consumers. You have to go through a dealer, usually a local theatrical supplier or event company. In the event that I am wrong about who is specifically selling it to you (it happens, I am a person), then I recommend finding a local theatrical supplier or event company who offers ETC console training and inquire about getting one on one in person training. Where are you located?

• Sorry for not giving this information before. My theatre teacher is buying the etc educational pack and she wants me to teach her everything about the ETCnomad for a play. I am in advanced theatre if that helps anything.

• That information was exceptionally important. Tell your teacher that she needs to contact the dealer who is selling this to her and get them to include a couple of hours of one on one console training.

• Several years ago I wrote an introduction to the new system I had designed for a high school client.

While these files have many specifics of that school and of how I want things done, much of it is very general.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrrnoaorapybgcm/Lighting%20Console.docx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a95u1xuaawfcodu/Lighting%20for%20HS.docx?dl=0

One of the great things about ETC is their commitment to training, everyone! The online classes are better than the videos because of the workbook material that you follow along with the videos. Hands on time seeing what happens in the visualizer (or Augment) can really help you understand "why" as well as "how" these things are done.

I also encourage you to reach out to other schools, churches and theaters in your area. Perhaps you can arrange to visit them and talk to their lighting people. A local dealer may know exactly who has similar equipment.

Good luck, and ask more questions here!

• If it were me, and I have been through this process, I would here and in 'Control Booth' ask if there was a theatre, school whatever near you that was running EOS. And ask if perhaps ,a knowledgeable person could visit you. I never touched a light board and found I had to do many hours of reading and ask about a million (sometimes embarrassingly simple) questions which burned holes in this forum and tested a lot of good folks  patience. For an utter, complete novice there really is nothing like a friendly guy over your left shoulder. And, I would strongly recommend you download the EOS software and run it at home. That alone has saved me about a million hours at the theater.

Having said that, these folks are here and always ready to field questions so don't be shy. Best of luck your starting a great journey.  

Related