Block in Display Question

I've was demonstrating the Auto Block feature to an Op. Everything worked as it should. A 'late' cue was revisited and updated with a change (ostensible putting in a Auto Block). An early cue was revisited and another change was made to that channel. In the Blind Spreadsheet (Oh what a tremendous tool this is!) we could see how the block prevented this tracking into and beyond the 'blocked' one. Good demo I thought until back in the PSD I did not see a  "b" in there! What did I do wrong?

Parents Reply Children
  • Oh lord we are gong in circles. My manual p256 (prior 3.0);

Auto Block

." . . for example in cue 5 you set chan 1 to 50%. It is stored in a move instruction. Then you go back to an earlier cue set chan 1 to 50% and it tracks forward to cue 5. Chan 1 will be autoblocked in cue 5 . . .  Auto blocks are displayed yada yada . . . ."

I followed this. Only change was that I made chan 1 60% rather than 50% better to see it. Checked it out in Blind Spreadsheet. The block is there. But still no b in the PSD.  I used to see these "b"s last time I did this but I was using "Cue Only". Would that be the difference?

• Only change was that I made chan 1 60% rather than 50% better to see it

You need to make it 50% for it to work.

• Should add, I agree the Blind Spreadsheet should show white etc and it isn't - so Question is when will I see the autoblock here and in the PSD? It is obviously working because it is stopping the cue 2 "move" tracking into and beyond cue 5.  

• Wow! I changed it to 50% and yep, got the "b' thanks. But this is not intuitive to me. Why does it have to be the same value? If you put 50% in the earlier cue. What's the point of blocking when it meets a cue with the same 50% in it. My concern is that although I used 60% it DID stop tracking in cue 5 I.E. an early change blocked a later one. I'm getting myself confused now so packing things in and will read the manual again on the morning with a clear head.  

• definition of autoblock:

if you change a value to the same value that is already used below as a move instruction, said move instruction will be replaced by an autoblocked value of the same amount.

• I hear you and others. Anne Valentino wrote over 12 years ago:
    “ . . . Essentially, an autoblock preserves the concept of a move instruction, even when the level is now the same as the cue before . . . An autoblocks protects data in the event of a redundant level change”.  Here, the word "Even" makes me ask "What else?" while the word "Redundant does much to alleviate my suffering! 

I see the philosophy but not the sense. If I made a change to 50% and then went back to make an earlier change to 50% why would I even need a block? My original 50% would (without any block) just blow through the complete cue list with 50% (which is what I wanted). An earlier change is the same as a later one and the entire cue list is what we wanted.

But if I make that earlier change to something other than 50% the system automatically protects my later change which make sense. I purposefully chose to set the chan at 50% for onward tracking and don’t want changes to an earlier cue overriding it and here the early change does not track through the later one. Clearly earlier changes are blocked though it doesn't fit the definition of redundancy . Here, some indication (b / white) would seem to be more important.

.The red blocked cell is point in case.

• Having read, reread and accepted the mechanics of "Auto Block" a questions arises. If in the previous picture, I change cue 2 chan 2 to FL and want this to ''blow' through the rest of the cue list. As there was a previous 'move' (50% )in a later cue our new change inly tracks to there (cue 5). As it is not a real Auto Block trying to remove any block in cue 5 fails. Is my only recourse in this event to go to cue 5 and make the same change as to cue 2 and thereby let this track down the rest of the cue list?

Until now I have used the Blind Spreadsheet, selected all the cues from 2 on (e.g. Cue 2 thru  and set chan 2 to whatever. That fills up my list fine. Just wondering if there was another way in Live.  

• I change cue 2 chan 2 to FL and want this to ''blow' through the rest of the cue list.

In live, "Chan 2 Update Cue Thru Enter"

• since channel two has no white underlined value there is nothing going on relating automark. nothing at all.

you're seeing regular tracking behavior. tracking is defined as change values as long as you have a vlue written in magenta. cue 5 has a value for channel two written in green which is a move instruciton. move instructions being protected against tracking is the most essential and central idea of tracking!

• Woops posted early. Thanks to sktuing for the Can Update Through advice.

Ref ueliriegg: I'm clear on Automark and not Automark now.  What really jumped out at me was a gap in my "Tracking" knowledge. (running before walking)

Your comment  "Move instructions being protected against tracking is the most essential and central idea of tracking!" This clicked everything in place and I'm kicking myself (probably wont be the last time!) 

Related