Ion Embedded Software

I am trying to buy an Ion Xe 2k, but my IT department is expressing concerns because they need the embedded software to be Windows 10.

What is the current embedded software on the Ion Xe 2k.  Does ETC have a machine on Windows 10?

(Background: they want it on their network for some reason, and it must meet their security standards, despite me telling them it shouldn't be connected to the internet)

• Unless your IT department is managing your lighting system network it should not be on their network.  Consoles should not be on an internet connected system.

IonXe is running Windows 7.  Currently no Eos console runs Windows 10.

The console is not a device that should be managed by your IT department and is carefully packaged to provide optimum control of your lighting system.

If you continue to have problems feel free to put your IT department in contact with ETC directly.

• Thank you for your response, that is what I have been telling them.

The goal is that we have gateways set up and we want to be able to use the Android RF app, and the nomad mirror function which means the system needs wifi.

IT is complaining that any new Private Wifi will throw off their existing Wifi System and if they put it on their system, the issue is that the Ion needs to act as a DHCP server which will be a rogue in their system giving out bad IP addresses.

If you have any advice that would be Ideal.

Thanks

• There's no requirement for the Ion to act as a DHCP server.

• IT provided WiFi should still be isolated to your lighting system (VLAN).  And as Sk8rs says, Ion acting as DHCP can be disabled in the Shell.  Here at ETC, our Conductor is the DHCP Server and all consoles have DHCP disabled.  DHCP could also be handled by IT or other 3rd party equipment.

• and a Nomad mirroring the console by WiFi is not officially supported. all Eos instances running the full software (i.e. not RFR, but consoles and nomad) need to be on a wired network.

• Our lighting network is stand alone EXCEPT one connection to the facility WiFi access points.  Our IT department setup a VLAN and enabled it for selected APs and the one port on the switch to which we connect.  I use all static IP addresses for my system including my Android RFR units, so we didn't need to worry about DHCP.

John

• Good to know.

We have tried to turn off the DHCP server on the Ion and run it all wired on the network but it did not work.  The gateways couldn't find the board and even a wired connection to a nomad PC didn't connect until 20 minutes later.  The Android app did work fine, oddly enough.

What is a Conductor?

I would be happy to be on IT's network that would be great, but it simply did not work.  We tried to attach the Ion and Gateways to a separate managed router, and it didn't work.  We tried static IPs we tried every reconfigure we could thing of. it just couldn't handle it.  We even hired an outside 3rd party consultant and they couldnt get it to talk to each other.

I get what you are saying, and I know you can turn it off, but it didn't work.  Having a private network was the only way.

• I will suggest a Vlan, I have heard from others as well that is an option.  I hope they know how to do that.

• One of the great things about buying an Ion through an ETC dealer, is that most of them can assist you with the network settings to integrate your new console into your existing network.  They can even interface with your IT department for you.  They do this kind of thing every day.

The reason your gateways stopped working after you disabled your existing DHCP server is probably because those gateways are not configured with static IP addresses, and were looking for a DHCP server to give them an IP.  With proper configuration, this can easily be solved.

One more thing to add: the Ion Xe is essentially the same hardware as a Nomad Programming Wing (or Programming Wing + 10 Motorized Fader Wing, if you get the Xe with faders).  The ETC Nomad software runs happily on a Windows 10 PC, so if your IT department really can't get over the fact that the Xe runs on Win7 Embedded, you could go that route.

• Also a good idea, its a bit lame to add extra components like a win10 pc, but maybe running a nomad on a Programming wing might work to make IT happy.  I didnt realize that existed.  Thanks.

I had the Gateways configured to static the whole time, but as I talk this out, the more I remember I never power cycled the gateways after turning off the Ion DHCP.  That might help.

Related