rem dim

Is there a way to disable the REM/DIM function on the ION console? It gets awkward (and dark) on set when that button gets pressed by mistake.

Thanks

MWeeks

• You can set your rem dim level from the CIA under setup, desk settings, manual control that way you don't go into total darkness.

[edited by: bosox242 at 11:25 PM (GMT -6) on Wed, Sep 16 2009]
  • And if you set RemDim to 100, you will essentially disable it.

-luke-

• The problem with bumping everthing to full is that creates a massive load with 20k's and 10k's bumping from lower levels.  I was hoping that there was a way to disable this function or move the key a little further from the OUT button.

Thanks

MWeeks

• That would indeed be bad! Fortunately, only levels above the RemDim level will go to that level. As a result, if it is set to 100, nothing will be affected.

You could still RemDim from the command line - [5] [Full] [RemDim] [0] [Enter] for example.

-luke-

• Well, if it helps, I AGREE! the position of the RemDim button is just not the right spot...although a functional key in design...it should have an option to DISABLE in desk settings. If you find out post it right away...this has happened to me twice...hit the RemDim again and your back but that second of swallowing your heart is awful.

Lance

• I am a bit surprised that nobody from ETC has piped up to say that RemDim CAN be disabled from the Setup/Desk options in 1.8.

• REM DIM is not a self-terminating keystroke. It requires an enter afterwards. Most of the other buttons around it are self-terminating. Seems to me like it would be pretty difficult to be plunged into darkness by this method accidentally. I've never mistakenly gone dark this way - I've done it other ways though! I don't see REM DIM as all that dangerous.

Tim

• The Rem Dim Enable button in setup enables/disables rem dim in Highlight mode.  (I believe the tab actually says that).  As Luke said, to disable rem dim, you can set the value to 100%, which effectively turns it off.

We've had a rem dim function for about 20 years.  On Obsession, I'm pretty sure the key was in the same spot as it is on Eos.  We've not had problems with users considering this dangerous, because as stated, it isn't a self terminating key.

Hope this helps.

a

• I think the issue might be, that Rem-Dim followed immediately by Out IS self Terminating!! And I've done it a few times myself this last week, them being so close together on the Ion (never noticed myself do it on the Eos......)

However, it's a function I use a fair amount, so it's not something I'm going to disable....just need to slim down my fingers!

And as stated before....hitting Rem-Dim again gets out of it quickly, doesn't stop the "tut" from some LD's though!

• Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I too would like a way to disable this button. Last week, I accidentally hit Rem-Dim and Out at the same time, causing the whole stage to blackout. A quick Undo brought everything back up, but that mistake is very serious and could potentially cost me my job :(

In the Film/TV realm, I haven't yet found a use for RemDim, and I would much rather remove that button entirely, than keep something potentially dangerous right next to buttons that I hit all the time...

(on an Ion)

[edited by: GeckoTH at 11:24 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, Sep 13 2010]
  • Lucky for me, I haven't mistakenly hit it...(yet)...

I'm making my setting 100, now.

Should be good with the command line entry work around, as few times as I use it!

With the large amperage sets It would/could blow the can off the wall, eh?

• Yeah, if you're pulling a lot of amps, and the entire stage jumps off and on, that has definite potential to damage the cans/transformer/genny/etc.

All the more reason this button should have an optional disable feature!

Setting it to 100 helps, yes, but since [Out] is self-terminating, I believe hitting [RemDim] [Out] is the same as [RemDim] [0] [Enter], which would still blackout the stage! (I can't confirm this at the moment, since our set is live right now).

• I dunno guys, my thought was that at some point you have to learn and remember what combination of keystrokes can get you into trouble and this seems like an example  It's not like pressing the RemDim button all by it's lonesome self yields the problems you're describing, as it's a double press.  Just like with dimmer-per-circuit systems we learned not to press key selections that bumps every channel to full.

As Anne stated, RemDim has been on ETC consoles forever and I for one use it on EVERY focus I do and do not want the current functionality changed drastically, nor the button moved.  I would bet that would be the consensus of most users.  Granted some things can be tweaked, (such as allowing a disable for RemDim) and that's why the forums here to ask those requests, but eventually they need to stop tinkering so we can remember where things are and how they function, beyond simple bug fixes.

My $.02

Steve B.

[edited by: Steve Bailey at 6:59 PM (GMT -6) on Mon, Sep 13 2010]
  • An extremely valid point, Steve. I respect and appreciate all the different ways people use the console, and wouldn't want to alter the button layout or workflow of anyone who's happy with the way things are.

Here's what happened to me last week: When trying to kill one light, my finger accidentally hit the keyboard about 1/2" too high, hitting both [RemDim] and [Out] simultaneously, which the console perceived as [RemDim] then [Out], sending everything into darkness. I understand that this was completely my fault, and not the console's. Naturally, I would like to avoid this kind of thing in the future. And since I personally don't have a use for [RemDim] at the present time, providing an optional 'disable' feature would be the perfect solution in my mind.

• hi everybody, my problem is that rem dim on my GIO works only whit dimmer channels and don’t work whit other fixture, like spot or wash

Related