internal battery dead, what can i fear except loosing time and date when power off?

Hi, on a festival, ion xe, eos 3.2.2. internal battery is dead, my boss doesn't want to do something abt it. Every morning i set time and date again, are they other issues we have to be aware of?

• is there a area in this site where we can get quick answers without calling etc? Sorry, when contributing to test a beta, i'm not in hurry to get an answer. But 3 times lately, i ask things than can be or seem to be potential huge issues, no answer, no help, actually nothing or same. I come here to share with other users ,  to try betas, to learn things. But i also expect from this site to be efficient. Saw a post about it few days ago, and i get a lot of respect too for etc people

• not doubt they do everything they can, but please, hire more people or else. Don't want to call etc except but for huge crash, but if this goes on without answers for "small", medium or temporary troubles, should i call etc every day? (those last days for exemple, got the Shutter hardkey  turning command line into cell, an original hardkey loosing it function, this was something etc  people could take time to answer, seems to me really worrying. Fortunatly this didn't happen since, but i still want to get what happened. other example: i asked an explanation of why a solaframe  is that wrong in aug vs real. the answer might take two lines, can't say, i just know i asked 19 days ago, and zero answer from etc.

Looking at the forum every day, i think i see maybe max 20 questions per day. One person partially dedicated should be able to answer all the posts. I could read that you etc are aware of this and do your best, wish it comes soon.

• sorry if my words aren't corrects, french guy doing his best to get understood.

• Hi ,

Of course the clock being incorrect is the primary issue. You could also see longer boot times than normal. As long as the console remains powered by mains power, you should avoid other errors, but if you do ever remove mains power, you could need to restart multiple times on startup and you could also see additional errors in the BIOS POST phase of startup.

I would encourage you to work with your local ETC Dealer/Distributor to order a replacement battery as your schedule allows.

• There is not a "rapid response area" of this site. If you need immediate assistance or you have a show critical need, you should indeed call your local ETC Technical Services as that is why they are there to support you. It doesn't have to be a big crash to be able to talk with your local Tech Services.

The community is a place where you can indeed share your experiences with other users, ask for advice, learn new things, share ideas,  and participate in betas. While ETC employees do frequent the forums here and often try to provide knowledgeable answers to questions, issues, and requests as they are able, this is a community where everyone, not just ETC employees are able to and encouraged to provide answers.

Often issues require research, testing, and discussion before an answer is available. I know that it can sometimes feel like one is communicating into the void if no one has an immediate answer, but we do value your feedback and contributions. We are looking internally at how to be engaged more across the nearly 70 groups and 115 forums that currently comprise the community (not everyone can see all areas) because we know that you have come to rely on the community as a source of knowledge and a safe space to express concerns and ideas.  You may see this take shape in not just more employee involvement but additional community led moderation and verified answers as well. If you have specific thoughts on how we can make the community experience better or would like to be involved more, please feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks,

Kirk

• thanks for your answer, i can't imagine how complex must be to deal with such a network, and i see just a very little part of it.

I get of course that "Often issues require research, testing, and discussion before an answer is available, as you said. Maybe i just miss sometimes a "we got your trouble, we take time to see what can be the cause before contacting you", or a  "straight call you local  ETS,he can help you with that we can't", for example, otehrwise after a few days i get the feeling pointed issues will get forgotten, so might come again randomly some day. And probably i don't use my local etc tech service enough, basically i won't try to -get his phone then -call him unless big big crash, i probably should use more of his time, for simple questions and more.

Might get impatient or frustrated sometimes on the forum, but still very gracefull for anyone helping, from ETC of else, (specially when i ask with wrong words or mistakes), and happy to help whenever i can. Adn i have to say the more i know eos the more i think it's amazing.

• thanks, will show your answer to coworkers tomorrow

• plus: most of the time for me, quite easier to send a message online than to make a call

• Do you have at your FOH a Laptop that is connect via Ethernet to your console/light network?
    If yes, try install the GCE on this Laptop.
    https://www.etcconnect.com/Products/Legacy/Networking/Net3-Gateway-Configuration-Editor/Software.aspx
    In this GCE you have the option, set the software as a Timeserver.
    In your console -in Shell- you must switch on the SNTP Option, console as Client, listen to the IP of the Laptop.
    If the Timeserver in the GCE is active, EOS will get time from there.
    The Timeserver you must start after every Laptop reboot new.

• thanks, Louis, never used GCE. i'll look at it as soon as i can. Can this help using TimeCode too? (just started to look at this function, a bit lost for now).

But mostly, will speak again about getting a new battery and taking time to replace old one.

• The GCE is a "Pre-Version" of Concert.
    Before Concert comes, you must manipulate settings for Nodes with the GCE.
    But it have this Timeserver Function.
    Concert not have this.
    The Timeserver is only for the Real-Time-Clock.
    All Console that listen to this Server get the same time.
    You can`t start or stop any in EOS with this Server.

Change the battery is very simple.
    I must do it a few weeks ago for my GIO.
    You need not 3 minutes for it.
    The battery is place in a holder you find easy, you need only a tool for open the console.

• thanks for informations abt GCE time server.

i know it's not a big deal to replace batt, found the way to do in etc website, seems indeed very simple. But some of us fear to manipulate the desk.

Related