Unable to get a solid connection with iPhone/iPad iRFR and iOS 5 update.

Hello,

Since my update to iOS5 I am unable to keep a constant connection to my ION. Every few minutes the app disconnects and I have to reconnect. This problem occurs on both my iPhone 4 and iPad (1st gen). In trying to figure out the problem I noticed that when attempting to connect to the board I would look at the iPhone/seetings/wifi screen and a connection is never truely made. I canstantly see the working icon, never a checkmark. I have asked a couple of other people at the theater with iDevices that have upgraded and they have to same issue trying to connect. I can connect to any other network without any issues except the ION.

I never had this issue until the upgrade to iOS5. If anyone else is having this issue and knows of a solution any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Parents
  • Hi,

There seems to be a general problem with iOS5 that many iPhone and iPad users have experienced since they upgraded to iOS5. Network connection is frequently dropped. I haven't seen a formal response from Apple yet but I hope they are working to solve this iOS issue.

[Clarification] Turning on Airplane mode as mentioned before might help as a workaround until it gets fixed since it will make sure that the device is using the network connection and not the cellular one.

[edited by: Anders Ekvall at 3:32 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, Oct 24 2011]
  • Well, even with airplane mode/non 3g I can't get a good connection. As a test I dug out my old iTouch with the older iOS on it and it worked fine. I'll use the iTouch for now until Apple gets the connection thing sorted out.

Reply Children
  • Howdy Wolf,

with your iO5 device, can you check what IP the WLAN connection has given your

iO5 device?

• Hi Corey,

auf unsere iPhone´s 4 hat der WLan-Router die IP 192. ... gegeben
    Keine DNS/Router Nummern.
    Der WLan-Router selber arbeitet aber mit 10.101.124.102 / 255.255.0.0

vor iOS 5 lief alles super.
    Jetzt haben wir Statische IP mit DNS & Router...  alles ist super. Verbindung stabil!

Gruß nach Hoki!

• Sorry for the delay in responding, got caught up in getting a failed Studio Spot fixed.

My IP is assigned to 10.101.50.108 although sometimes the device changes 108 to 106 (even under static).

As a test I dug out my iTouch (2nd gen) which I had used before getting an iPhone and iPad. The iTouch is

running iOS version 4.1 and after updating the iRFR app to it's current version it runs with no issues at all.

The iTouch IP is 10.101.100.250. I tried to put the wifi setting into the iPhone and iPad and they would not

connect at all with the iTouch settings. It won't connect at all with the setting that work great in the iTouch.

Right now the iTouch will work until a solution is figured out but I really miss using the iPads encoder screen. 

• I'll add a "me too" with having issues. I had originally had many connection issues when running the iOS Beta, but then it resolved itself with the GM release, so I had assumed that it was beta thing. I've now realized that it seems seems to depend on what console / configuration I'm running and the fact that it got better with the GM of iOS was a coincidence. 

I've now tested my phone on 3 different setups and here is what I get.

Flakey Connection - Ion running DHCP. Airport Express set to Access Point Mode (just acting as a Bridge). iPhone gets IP from Ion.

Flakey Connection - Ion running DHCP. Airport Express set to . Phone set to Static IP.

Good connection - Ion set with Static IP. Airport Express set to Access Point.  iPhone with Static IP.

Maybe there are other things at fault, but I thought I would mention it just in case.

Thanks,

• For those who are using iOS 5:

Could you post to tell us if you are using iCloud and/or Wireless iTunes Sync?

This is just a general data gathering question and should not be read/implied to represent that there is a known issue with either of those services.

• I am using iCloud and the wireless sync option. I'll set my iPad up so it is not using those and see what happens tonight.

• Yes and Yes. iCloud and iTunes Wireless Sync are enabled.

• After using my iPhone today I think I have to recant my earlier post, because I had trouble staying connected to the console today. I put my iPhone in airplane mode after it was slow to connect. The the WiFi network list (in Settings) continued to do the spinny circle thing & did not give me a solid check mark next to my network name, even though I did get an IP address, etc from my Eos RPU DHCP server & was able to connect to the console. I brought up a couple addresses in Channel Check, then it would disconnect. This happened repeatedly until I was done checking what I had to check.

I am using iCloud now (wasn't when I posted earlier), but I am not using Wireless iTunes Sync.

My iPad is still on iOS 4 and is working like a rock star. My only complaint is that the iRFR needs to reconnect to the console after the screen is locked. (I guess the iPad drops the WiFi connection when locked?)

• I'll also have trouble keeping a constant connection. However, as far as I can tell it's a problem with Apple and maintaining a Network connection, and not a problem with the iRFR app...

I use static IP addresses for everything on my network, and have never had any issues because of this. I am able to successfully connect to the Ion without issue, but if the screen of the iPod (or iPhone or iPad) shuts off for just a little bit, the network connection is dropped. When I turn the screen back on, the WiFi signal is gone, but returns after a few seconds. However, this is enough to break the connection with the console, so I have to Reconnect at the main menu to re-establish a connection. Once again, I'm able to re-connect just fine, but then have to spend some more time switching it back into LIVE mode (why oh why can't this be default again!?!?!).

So, whenever I'm away from the desk, and the gaffer calls for a change, I gotta spend the next 15 seconds or so getting re-connected and back into Live mode before I can actually input a change. Most gaffers are not this patient, so it's definitely a frustrating issue...

• Add me to the list of those whose connection was dropping. Both iPad (1st Gen, Wifi) & iPhone 4. Both running iOS 5.0.1.

Previously never dropped the connection unless out of range. Router is Airport Extreme (4th Gen, 7.6), and it is sitting right next to me.

I then went to look at the IP address table, ( http://community.etcconnect.com/wikis/products/knowledgebase-etc-network-ip-addresses.aspx ) and instead of 10.101.125.101, as it suggests here (http://community.etcconnect.com/wikis/products/irfr-how-to-setup-your-wireless-network.aspx ) it was now recommending DHCP. I switched to DHCP, and that seem to have stabilized the connections. Both iPad and iPhone are holding their connections.

My router is set to 10.101.1.1, and always has been, but it was a Static IP.

James McNeal

IATSE, Local 52 & ACT

ETCP Certified Electrician

Currently: Board & Generator Op on "Pan Am"

ETC Ion 1.9.8

[edited by: mcliln at 11:50 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, Nov 21 2011]
  • Using both.  No problem.  I find most of my issues start at the access point not being setup properly.  The second is to make sure the gateway is the same for all devices on the network.  I have used iPhone 4 and iPad 2 reliably on release code.

With that note I have able able to connect via static IP or DHCP seamlessly.  Side note, most of my apps have been turned off from trying to reach out for location services.

P-

• I have been having similar issues.  I finally got my phone to stay connected by switching into airplane mode with wifi turned on.  I was using a static IP on an airport express of 10.101.124.101 and my phone 10.101.125.213, settings unchanged from pre iOS5 where it worked every time without question.

With a new iPad2, using same settings but device IP of 10.101.125.201 I get the same 30second connection and then it disconnnects.

At Tracy's suggestion, I reconfigured the Airport Express to DHCP, the iPad to DHCP, and configured the console to dish out IPs.  Continued to get a pinwheel on the wifi connection, like it was never getting assigned an IP address.  However, every so often the wifi icon would appear up top.  Could connect to the console briefly and then would dump again.

EDIT:  Got the iPad2 to work great now.  Had to go to General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.  Once this completed its reboot, I reentered my wifi connection (Aiport Mode is Off now) and the device is holding steady.  (In trying to get it working I also disabled all location, time, mail services that try to connect online.)

[edited by: Seth Starr at 10:36 AM (GMT -6) on Thu, Dec 1 2011]
  • Just got an iPhone 4s.  PIcked it over a droid primarily because of the iRFR app.  Now having the same connectivity problem that others have described.  I have no problem making the connection to the console.  The WIKI instructions were clear and the addressing has to be correct since a connection is made.  The connection simply keeps breaking with the message "No Connection.  Unable to establish a connection".  I click "ok" and then hit the "connect" button and 90% of the time a connection is re-established immediately.  The other 10% of the time it may take several attempts to reconnect.  It is rare for the connection to last as long as 30 seconds.  I'm working with a Netgear Wireless Access Point that is connected to a switch.  While I am not a network guru I suspect like others that the problem lies within the iPhone's operating system.  I hope a solution is found.   I am impressed by the simple elegance of the iRFR app and desperately need the remote control.

• I had an issue yesterday with a wifi only iPad that was upgraded to iOS5 that I was eventually able to fix.I don't know if there was a specific step that fixed it, or if it was a combination of steps.

I started by setting a static IP address that was in the proper range, and then I turned on airplane mode & then re-enabled Wifi. I turned off Location Services, and made sure there was no other internet services enabled. Finally, when I went back in the iRFR app & it was not connecting consistently I re-entered the console password in the iRFR settings. And then magically, everything worked rock solid.

[edited by: jrgoss at 9:13 AM (GMT -6) on Thu, Jan 5 2012]
  • Hi Clow,

Two colleagues and myself set up a wireless network yesterday with brand new iRFR apps.  The one with the Andriod worked right off with no apparrent problems.  The guy with the ipod touch and myself with a 4G iphone both were able to connect through the app but were getting booted like you but about every 60 seconds.  We were pretty stymied and neither one of us wanted to reset the network settings on our devices, losing the stored passwords..

Today, we tried this and so far it has seemed to fix the problem;

Turn airplane mode on and go to wireless settings.  Then go to the info screen for the network you're using.  Take note of all the IP, subnet and Gateway addresses.  Turn on the Static button and use those addresses to fill in the blanks. Tab back to the wireless screen.  At that point, I saw the check mark for the network (it was no longer pinwheeling.)  It was a couple of moments before I saw wireless signal bars but they turned up. 

I went straight to the iRFR and stayed connected indefinitely, then went back to turn the airplane mode off and it still worked.  The guy with the ipod Touch got his fixed as well but he has to leave his in airplane mode.

I hope this works for you too.

Brent

Now, if anyone can tell me why the Last Played status the songs on my iphone no longer syncs to my home itunes since I installed OS5...  That would be great.

Related