Reading conventional focus charts

Hi All I just had a quick question about the conventional focus paperwork, 

For instants Ch.179 

US Edge +20 ( this means that the Upstage edge of the gobo is at +20 feet correct?

under the picture there is 11R - 2R ( dose this mean that the centre of the Gobo is at 11 feet upstage and 2 feet stage right? 

With Ch. 148 it's 8 feet upstage with the Scallop @ 4 feet stage right, What is a Scallop?

Going to be doing this with some students and what to be sure I have the right answers to their questions 

thanks John 

Parents
  • Hey John, sounds like a great project to work on with students!

Looking at ch. 179.

US Edge + 20 = Yes, this means that the Upstage-most edge of the gobo is 20'-0" US of the Origin 0,0.

Therefore, the US-most edge of ch. 179 & the US-most edge of ch. 178 should line up if observing from a section or offstage view, since they both have "US Edge + 20" notated. This differs from ch. 177, which actually has "Tip off Stairs" as the visual indicator for where the US edge of the gobo needs to land. It's still referring to the US-most edge of the gobo. The expanded verbiage might be "Tip the unit DS until the US edge is off the Stairs".

The secondary numbers under each photo are the SL/SR (approximated) spread of the gobo. So, for ch. 179: the onstage side of the gobo lands at 2'-0" SR of CL. The offstage (more SR) side of the gobo lands at 11'-0" SR of CL. So, the total light spans from 11R - 2R. You can also observe ch. 178 for comparison. This unit spans 6R - 6L. [6'-0" SR to 6'-0" SL] The pool of light is approximately 12'-0" wide.

• Hey John, sounds like a great project to work on with students!

Looking at ch. 179.

US Edge + 20 = Yes, this means that the Upstage-most edge of the gobo is 20'-0" US of the Origin 0,0.

Therefore, the US-most edge of ch. 179 & the US-most edge of ch. 178 should line up if observing from a section or offstage view, since they both have "US Edge + 20" notated. This differs from ch. 177, which actually has "Tip off Stairs" as the visual indicator for where the US edge of the gobo needs to land. It's still referring to the US-most edge of the gobo. The expanded verbiage might be "Tip the unit DS until the US edge is off the Stairs".

The secondary numbers under each photo are the SL/SR (approximated) spread of the gobo. So, for ch. 179: the onstage side of the gobo lands at 2'-0" SR of CL. The offstage (more SR) side of the gobo lands at 11'-0" SR of CL. So, the total light spans from 11R - 2R. You can also observe ch. 178 for comparison. This unit spans 6R - 6L. [6'-0" SR to 6'-0" SL] The pool of light is approximately 12'-0" wide.

Children
  • I wanted to get a quick screenshot to help me explain "Scallop":

Essentially, when focusing any light other than a Top light, it is common to refer to the curved edge of the beam closest to the focuser or the instrument itself as the "scallop". This is especially common with focusing any type of side lights, High-sides, Pipe-Ends, Heads/Mids etc. but it can also be applied to Front lights, Back lights, etc depending on your personal way of working.

Sorry for the low res, I just zoomed way in on the PDF. 

So, since this ch. is part of the system of High Cross (or X) coming from SR, the "scallop" is on the SR side of this beam.

For ch. 137, the "scallop" in question is the SL-most arc of the beam. Here, I over-exaggerated where the unit is hung, to help show how this is applied in other contexts. It is actually a steeper shot than the blue lines I drew, you can actually see the beam of the light originating somewhere above the "3" in "137" on the picture below.

I hope this helps ! Have fun with the students!

Related