Reading conventional focus charts

Hi All I just had a quick question about the conventional focus paperwork, 

For instants Ch.179 

US Edge +20 ( this means that the Upstage edge of the gobo is at +20 feet correct?

under the picture there is 11R - 2R ( dose this mean that the centre of the Gobo is at 11 feet upstage and 2 feet stage right? 

With Ch. 148 it's 8 feet upstage with the Scallop @ 4 feet stage right, What is a Scallop?

Going to be doing this with some students and what to be sure I have the right answers to their questions 

thanks John 

Parents
  • For further reference, you can also zoom waaaay in on the PDF's, if you're viewing them on a computer. This isn't helpful for those that have printed out the focus charts, but some may still find this useful!

When you zoom in on even the smaller pictures, you can see the little white cards flat at the DS edge of the show deck that are on 2'-0" centers. With pictures taken from the balcony like they did here, you can quickly get your bearings and make estimations of where things are on stage. Even without laying out focus tape or the focus cones, though obviously that's the more accurate way to go.

(Click on the image to expand it and view my markups)

Also note that in other images from other systems, like the 130's and 140's [Temp X systems] - there are also different numbers hanging off the DS edge of the stage, that are on 4'-0" centers, in addition to the 2'-0" markers that are smaller and laid flat. This is clear in the image of G131, where you can see both sets of reference numbers:

Just some quick ways to get your bearings for a quick reference! Like I said above, using focus tape and focus cones will always be the way to ensure accuracy, so I wanted to repeat that I'm not replacing that methodology with these tips. 

I hope this proves useful :)

• This is great thank you all, you learn something new every day,  

Reply Children
No Data
Related