TouchOSC and MIDI

Enableing the TouchOSC and midi fader movements on the hog4pc if any hardware is connected.

Related thread: forums.highend.com/showthread.php?p=63722#post63722
  • [QUOTE=Buzz313th;64189]Personally I don't think HES needs to be concerned about ppl building a cheap hog with an interface from touch osc as its not really consistent enough via wireless to do any serious cue triggering or fading. Since the I devices and most of the android devices don't have a wired network card, then they are limited to wireless.

Personally a dedicated HPC tower and wings is the most budget friendly system that I would ever run a hog server on. I won't even run the primary server or a virtual DP on a laptop.

With that being said, if someone wants to risk running a show off of an HPC system with only an IPad and Touch OSC as their primary hard UI, then that's their problem. IMHO, anyone serious enough to bring their controller on a show, will at a minimum bring a dedicated HPC system with wings and touchscreens.

By the way, anyone wanna buy my FB3 so I can finally get a FB4?

;)
    Agreed I'd never run a show from this type of system unless i had no other choice, but I could very well see programing from it.
  • I dont know what kind of shows you are programming, but I would go crazy when i would have to programm with an ipad as my programmer-wing....

And if you really would like your ipad doing this thing, than dont usw OSC use idisplay...
    Move your Frontpanel to the ipad and go....
  • [QUOTE=MLorenz;64200]I dont know what kind of shows you are programming, but I would go crazy when i would have to programm with an ipad as my programmer-wing....

And if you really would like your ipad doing this thing, than dont usw OSC use idisplay...
    Move your Frontpanel to the ipad and go....

really? i find iDisplay to be WAY laggy in comparison to touchOSC, but to each his own.
  • But it works... Personally i would never use a ipad as a replacement for a wing in a show.
    But for all these situations described above like editing in the bus or hotel room and the need for faders i can live with the idisplay.

When preprogramming in the office i´m using my programmerwing or now a nano...

I love the OSC stuff for testing a rig or so...
    And like said, and Chris also confirmed, that OSC should be available when a wing is attached would be great
  • Funny thing bout all this is that if the nano wing was just a hair bit closer in price point to the top of the line IPad, then buying a nano instead of using an Ipad would be the obvious choice..

Question regarding this...

Is the Nano being sold with or without the super widget installed? And.. whats the general difference in price for the unit with the installed widget and without?

JB
  • But it works... Personally i would never use a ipad as a replacement for a wing in a show.
    But for all these situations described above like editing in the bus or hotel room and the need for faders i can live with the idisplay.

When preprogramming in the office i´m using my programmerwing or now a nano...

I love the OSC stuff for testing a rig or so...
    And like said, and Chris also confirmed, that OSC should be available when a wing is attached would be great

Like I said I can't stand iDisplay for that purpose only. compressing and sending an entire video stream seams like a waste and in my experience is so lagy, however I do see your point.

Funny thing bout all this is that if the nano wing was just a hair bit closer in price point to the top of the line IPad, then buying a nano instead of using an Ipad would be the obvious choice..

Question regarding this...

Is the Nano being sold with or without the super widget installed? And.. whats the general difference in price for the unit with the installed widget and without?

JB

hm...never thought of that before....can one of the HES guys comment on that?
  • [QUOTE=Buzz313th;64206]Is the Nano being sold with or without the super widget installed? And.. whats the general difference in price for the unit with the installed widget and without?

Nano comes without internal Super Widget as standard.
    Super Widget is an additional option for Nano.
    Talk to your dealer regarding pricing for either config.
  • As I can remember, I think that there is a special offer for the Nano until the end of december, it will come with 4 output.
  • [QUOTE=michandrz;64212]Like I said I can't stand iDisplay for that purpose only. compressing and sending an entire video stream seams like a waste and in my experience is so lagy, however I do see your point.

I just tried it here during a HOG4 training I did, and it was not lagy.
    I understand your point as well. But it worked...
  • +1

My vote is to have all controls active, regardless of hardware attached. Who in their right mind would use an iPad as a sole control surface?! By itself you can't even see a command line to confirm where you are. It certainly makes your brain work harder visualizing the console's state. This kluge is a nice effort, but really wants to be a more complete solution.

And how about the native app if that ever emerges? Will that also have hardware limitations? In-app purchases for encoders? Fader packs?

And in the end, we already have fully functional virtual encoders and faders with our tablets running full clients so why all the fuss about doing it with an iDevice?

There's my $0.02

A huge thanks to the HES developers and staff for all their continuing efforts to making Hog an incredible platform to light with!