using the expression with emphasis without the server??

Can you use the expression with emphasis without the server??? Instead of having the emphasis system just basically have the expression 3? Is this possible or am I just way off base?
  • You can in fact do this. With your Emphasis server you should have received some diskettes (they may be stored away inside the facepanel itself, you would have to unscrew the top of the facepanel using the pegs on the side of the board and pull the panel up to reveal the insides of the board). The diskettes may also be in a binder with an ETC logo on it.

There are several diskettes to do this. One will convert the Expression to a standalone console upon booting with the diskette in the drive, the other one will revert back to the Expression with Emphasis software. BE SURE YOU HAVE BOTH DISKETTES BEFORE LOADING THE STANDALONE DISKETTE as you can not revert back to an Emphasis facepanel without the other diskette.

I do not remember the exact names of the diskettes but I am sure one of the ETC techs can clarify this for you.

• The Emphasis server itself contains the software for both disks - I forget exactly where, but it is mentioned in the User Manual for Emphasis.

Obviously you'll need some floppy disks, which are getting increasingly harder to get hold of! 

• thanks I'll look it up I figured there was a way to do it that did not require to much effort...the disks can still be had online not locally though, and even then I wonder how much longer I'll be able to get them that way.
  • It's on Page 11 of the Emphasis 2.0.1 manual - I won't re-print it here as the instructions are quite long, but the manual can be downloaded from here.
  • Some comments though.

If you are using the Expression in stand-alone mode on the existing and current system, hopefully the Expression with Emphasis is hooked up to the current control system via the DMX output ports on the back of the facepanel -  Expression console.   And/or that you intend to use the Expression as a stand-alone console outputting DMX directly.

The Emphasis server does not have DMX out, sending all control data to a Net2 system via the Ethernet port and hub/switch.  Thus, should that be your current control configuration, the Expression in stand-alone mode cannot talk to a Net2 system.  You would need to use a Net2 node receiving the DMX output from the Expression DMX ports to connect to a Net2 system.

All of which requires me to ask the question - Why do you need/want to disconnect Emphasis ?.

Steve Bailey

Brooklyn College

• Had an issue patching some elipscans in not to long ago. We don't use the previs system normally...so it becomes something extra that sits around or has to get moved. We are not currently using any net2 nodes...the list goes on...its a decent system but often times having the server attached even if it is remotely via installed etcnet jacks, just makes the system a little more clunky. So thats why I'm curious if I can some people just don't like this particular system for whatever reason so I decided to see if I could remove it when it wasn't needed.
  • Roger - did you try it?  Steve makes a good point about the DMX out.  I have done this in exactly one venue.  We needed to use Net2 node inputs to get DMX to where we needed it and we needed to find a way to hook up an RFU and a video node.  Doing this also required a little "being smarter than the system."  Obviously most Emphasis installs are not designed for you to "downgrade" on a regular basis. 

We were able to succeed, eventually after some experimentation.  How did you make out?

• Haven't had a chance to try it yet it may be a little while before I do unfortunately thanks for all the good advice though guys. Pretty much all of our installation is based around the use of wired dmx (with no nodes) so not having some of the features available to us isn't really gonna bother me. So I really wouldn't call it an emphasis install per say, you could pretty much put any console in with minimal hookup headaches other than the need to have a 4 channel dmx and 1 channel rfu snake to run to  wherever you put the board in the house( which can get pretty long).
  • "we needed to find a way to hook up an RFU and a video node"

In any case, RFU for Express/ions & Insights run direct to the console and/or facepanel, so that's never an issue.  Emphasis can go away and not affect RFU (assuming wired RFU - not WiFi RFU)

If the RVI is a newer Net2 version, it can be configured to operate in Net1, which is what the consoles talk via the Cat5 port, when their not Emphasis facepanels.   I cannot off hand recall the method to change an Net2 RVI back to Net1, but I believe this can be done using the Net2 Configuration Editor, where there's a method to configure a particular node to Net1.  Net2 CE resides on the Emphasis server, so either do this change before the Emphasis is taken off-line, or use Net2 CE on a stand-alone PC.  Obviously, if the RVI is an older version, there's no dealing with Net2.  Of course logic is telling me here that if the system of the original OP was an Expression as facepanel with an Emphasis, with the facepanel outputting DMX directly, there probably was no Net1 RVI, as there would be no Cat5 port to connect console to RVI. 

In any case, once an Express/ion is in Net1 speak, you need to do the old boot-with-the-RVI disk routine to get the RVI to see the console.  These boot programs are free downloads from the ETC main site.

Thinking we should be porting this info. to Tips and Tricks

Steve B.

• Booting with the RVI disk will get you where you want to go.  Network Configuration Editor will allow you to flip a node from Net 1 to Net 2, but not go the other direction (but keep this in mind for if/when you want to put Emphasis back online as you will need to flip your nodes back).

Best,

John 

• Roger,

I was going back through all the advice and realized none of us mentioned an important step.  It sounds as though you are running hard lines so I am guessing you will not have a problem, but just in case....  

If you are using any of the Net2 backbone in the building with your "Expression" system, you need to unplug the Emphasis server from the network.  One problem I encountered in the situation I mentioned before was using the backbone as dry lines for the DMX transfer and the RVI.  The theater had a dry line already for the RFU, but I also had to unplug the RFU output on a Net2 node that was still attached to the system.  Leaving it plugged in caused all keystrokes on the RFU to be registered twice.  I digress, but ultimately, you want to make certain that your Expression setup is completely separate from your Emphasis.  One common example would be install racks.  If you leave the server plugged into the network it will likely still be able to affect your install racks - unless you have found where to unplug their DMX in(s) and are plugging your Expression direct instead.

Again, when you give it a shot, please let us know how you made out!

Thanks. 

Related